Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 months ago

If I "invested" $13,000 in a business in 2017 & 2018, but I ended up getting scammed, how can I write the loss off on my 2020 income taxes?

You need to talk to a lawyer as to whether this qualifies as a theft loss.  Exactly when the theft occurs is the issue.  If after 2017, not deductible at all due to Trump changes.

You CAN'T.   

What do you mean you "invested" $13,000?    Did you make someone a loan?  Did you buy ownership shares?   Or did you start your own business?   Where does the investment stand now?  

You've given us basically zero information. 

Stupidity is not tax deductible.

You don't write it off in 2020.