Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Ali asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 2 months ago

T or F: Resistance is helpful when producing heat or light?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • oubaas
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sure !!

#  for electric heaters : heat = energy = R*I^2*t ≡ R 

# for filament bulbs : light = k*power = k*R*I^2 ≡ R 

• 2 months ago

Well, if your producing light with a resistance type filament in a tungsten filament bulb, that's true. if you're producing it with a semiconductor type device, then it has to do with electrons going to lower energy levels. At least that's the picture for Newtonian physics. Quantum mechanics doesn't use that simple model of an electron, but I won't get into that. 

• 2 months ago

Yes, Resistance is necessary to produce heat and light in electronics but not in a candle or fire. I don't think it is in bio luminescence.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's said that if there is energy consumption, there would be a high chance to produce heat or absorb heat. But only heat transmission will not be necessary to involve in heat. As for light, cold light, or warm light might be slightly different events. Resistance Is crucial to give heating or cooling, also influence light. Just coarse memory, please check up your textbook.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It diminishes the measure of electrical energy that is sent since a portion of the flow is consumed by particles of issue. Then again, on the off chance that the point is to utilize power to create warmth or light, opposition is helpful. It ingests electrical energy and converts some of it to light and warmth.

• 2 months ago

very vague. An electric heater or light always has resistance or it will not operate.

zero resistance, or infinite resistance, and there will be no power in the unit, and therefore no heat or light.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.