Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

What's wrong with my Jade plant?

Hi! I got this jade plant a couple of months ago and i am just not being able to figure it out. 

i water it like once a week and give it enough sunlight too! The leaves are drooping, very thin as compared to when i bought it and super soft to touch. 

Now the leaves are also developing blisters and small brown patches on them and a lot of leaves have also fallen.

Research suggests me im either underwatering oor over watering but i dont understand which of it it is. Could some experienced person please guide me? (I'm generally good with plants)

• ?

You haven't included a picture.

But I can tell you now that you are watering way too much.

Jade plants are outdoor plants and as succulents want to dry out between waterings.

In my area Jade plants do well out of doors with no water at all during the dry season, which is about 8-9 months long, so long as they are in the ground or in large enough pots that the pot doesn't get super hot.

If your jade plant is indoors, it needs to be in a very sunny window and get at least 6 hours of sun a day.

I suggest you immediately stop watering it at all.  If you can, lift the entire root ball out of the pot and set it on a flat surface so it can dry out.

• Ben

Almost certainly overwatering. Once a week seems much too often, especially in the winter.

Also, it's almost impossible to kill a jade plant from underwatering. I water mine, at most, five or six times a year, and they do just fine. In fact, I haven't watered mine since about October, maybe even late September (admittedly they are in a cool conservatory. They wouldn't manage 4 straight months without water in a warm room).

If in doubt, just err on the side of underwatering them. It's very unlikely to actually do them any harm. At worst, they'll simply grow a bit slower than they might otherwise. 

• ?

It is probably the dry heat in the house.  Low humidity is like a hot desert.  Put a clear plastic bag over the plant and see if the entrapped higher humidity makes the plant perk up.  Enough light will get through the bag, if you locate the plant properly.