Anonymous

Are autism and intellectual disability usually co-morbid conditions?

I have read that a large percentage of persons with autism also have intellectual disabilities.  Is this true?

Autism's a form of mental retardation, yes. 

''Learning disability is a lifelong disorder diagnosed in childhood. Around 4 in 10 autistic people have a learning disability. 

Learning disability affects intellect and is sometimes referred to as intellectual disability. It is often confused with learning difficulties, such as dyslexia, which do not affect intellect.'' https://www.autistica.org.uk/what-is-autism/signs-...

The person that said autistic can't comply with IQ tests is an idiot. I've sat IQ tests to be accepted into Mensa but I'm still very much autistic and need a carer to live independently. I have a brother with moderate learning disabilities (IQ in the range of 35-49) that didn't need to sit a written IQ test, his was assessed through verbal and practical testing methods. 

Every autist has a unique set of symptoms. My brother has much better social skills than me, seems to handle sensory processing much better and doesn't worry about life. My father is also autistic and is very successful professionally but really doesn't understand body language, struggles enormously socially and is useless as a parent. I'm the only female in 3 generations of autists on my fathers side but I also inherited ADHD from my mother so I struggle to run my house, pay my bills and I fall for cons and scams all the time even though my IQ is in the top 2% of the population. I envy my brother at times.

Not usually, while the stereotypes of autistic people tend towards high or low intelligence, intellectual disabilities are normally unrelated to autism.

While the 'Sheldon Cooper' stereotype of 'genius with no social skills' can exist, it's much more common for autistic people to have 'average' intelligence, with a few areas where they do better (often linked to their interests) and others where they do worse.

With regards to IQ tests, school results etc, it's fairly 'normal' for an autistic person to either be good at some area or pretty awful in other areas. For example, the results for one intelligence test, my percentile scores (better in this area than x% of the population) I have 3 areas above 98, a 50, a 16 and a 5, when averaged together (like an IQ test), the overall result comes out to about '60' which doesn't accurately reflect either my best or worse results.

As most non-autistic people don't usually have such a variance in their range of abilities, an autistic person can come across as intellectually (or physically) disabled in certain areas. I was utterly awful at learning languages, music, mental arithmetic, and woodwork, but I was among the top end of the class for the sciences, written arithmetic and cooking.

No. Often yes. Usually, no. Lots of people with autism have exceptionally high intelligence. Most have average. Nearly all have difficulty with traditional testing, but that is no indication of actual intelligence.

sorry, let me clarify. The autistics that TEST VERY LOW typically just can't comply with the test.  I was only referring to the ones that test as intellectually disabled, not all autistics.

IQ tests are not great to assess neurotypical people as they don't really assess general intellectual functioning.

sure there are some that  do have legit low IQs, but you need to make an estimate based on observation.  You have to see skills they spontaneously demonstrate during desired activities to judge whether they may have average or above IQ or not.

probably not usually.  with autism, it is hard to tell as they can't comply with an IQ test.  they could have average to above average IQ, but test well below 70 (intellectual disability level).

i have worked with people with autism that seem to have decent cognitive skills, but would score zero on an IQ test.