Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceWomen's Studies · 2 days ago

Is it transphobic to not want to date a trans person solely because they are trans?

• 7 hours ago

No. You should be able to date whomever you want

• Elana
    1 day ago

Is it homophobic for a heterosexual male to not want to date men?

It may be awhile (e.g. centuries) before we've gotten to the point that we fully perceive somebody who has transitioned ... long as in maybe another century.

Until that point, as others have said, "the heart wants what the heart wants" and all the political correctness in the world isn't going to change that.

But as the process becomes more common and people discover that they are indeed turned on by transgenders, it will go from becoming confusing and offputting to normal and perhaps even enticing.

But we are a long Long LONG way away from that.

• 1 day ago

The heart wants what it wants.  I give people wide latitude in choosing whom they want to date, without judgement.  For example, I would not call a man homophobic simply because he doesn't want to date other men.

• susan
    1 day ago

I don't know. 

But even if it is, you don't need to date anyone that you would rather not date, for any reason or for no reason at all. 

2 days ago

No it's not because you cannot change your sex no matter how much hormones you take. Straight people are not attracted to people who were born the same sex as them. Male and female think differently due to their biological differences which cannot be changed with a simple hormone therapy.

• 2 days ago

it's uptight and not healthy. don't forget your meds. you could reeaally have a heart attack. my heart sinks through my stomach when i see things i don't like - ugly dogs for example...which are wayyyyy more common than trans..some deep thinking there mister unless you were picking up prostitutes...i heard mtf prostitutes are lower pay...what a steal..you'll change your mind

2 days ago

Bill is a ignorant idiot and yes you are transphobic. I personally wouldn’t mind dating a transman cause I’m openminded unlike most bigots who are men most of the time.

Source(s): Straight woman
  • Bill
    2 days ago

There is no such thing as transphobia, so no. The individual is still the biological sex they were born as, so if you're a straight man and the transgender claims to be female dating them would be dating another dude. 

@Anonymous: So how am I ignorant? Before you answer be sure you can show me where transphobia is officially recognized as a phobia and that transgenders become the opposite sex after treatment. Good luck. 

And being openminded doesn't mean being an idiot that ignores biological facts.

• ?
    2 days ago

Dating is a matter properly steered by bias, not prejudices.  "Bias" is the technical term for what we normally call "my taste" or "my type".  Transphobia is generally considered to be an expression of one's politics, religion, or prejudices.  For example, if you find yourself thinking "I have no interest in dating a person with the wrong genitalia", then you're expressing a bias.  That's the same as saying "I have no interest in dating a person who has blonde hair" or "I'm not interested in dating a person who chews gum".  It's a bias.  Not transphobic.

But if you find yourself thinking "I'm not going to date this trans person because trans people are pushy and obnoxious" that's PREJUDICE.  You think you know what the other person is going to be like before you've given them a chance to show you, based on your PRE-JUDGMENT of all trans people.  That's transphobic.

Again, if you're talking to a trans person and your impression of this particular individual is that they're pushy and obnoxious, then you're reacting negatively to their actual behavior.  THAT'S a BIAS - not a prejudice.  Not transphobic.

Does this make it clear?  You don't have to be attracted to blondes just to be fair and even-handed.  You don't need to date a blonde if the blonde hair makes you think "Ugh, I COULD be with a brunette right now!"  You've just got a bias against blonde hair or in favor of brown hair - that's your "taste".  Likewise, you might not be interested in people physically much larger or smaller than you are.  And you might not be interested in people who are lawyers or carpenters, simply because you just can't see yourself with a lawyer or a carpenter - not because they can't be good people, but just because that's not the image of yourself that you want.  These are biases, not pre-judgments that assume things about individuals before you know them.  You can be biased against black people or white people or people with missing limbs or bad skin...OR transgender people.

Where the rubber meets the road on this one is the instance when you see a person who is very attractive and turns out to be very nice, and rather intriguing - and then they tell you "I'm trans."  Now, AT THAT POINT, if you say "OH! Well, then I'm not interested" then YES, you're being transphobic.  That's because the person was satisfying all your "taste" criteria.  You can't claim that they were not "your type" - they clearly were!

If you instead say "OH!  Uh...I didn't know...uh...look, how do I ask this...are you like,...fully transitioned?" and they tell you "No", then you can excuse yourself without it being an instance of transphobia, because it's due to a bias against mis-matched genitals.  Not your type.  Not your taste.  Not transphobia.  BUT, if they say "Yes" and you still excuse yourself, then you're back in transphobe territory.

• 2 days ago

it could be that way