Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Mortgage and Home Insurance?

Does the lender have the right to choose my home insurance for me? Even if I already chose for myself? I selected Allstate at their recommendation. Signed the contract and everything with Allstate. Then the lender decided to go with a different company altogether without telling me because they wanted my mortgage payment to be lower. Is that allowed? I wouldn't have moved forward if I new they switched me to such a terrible policy. 

Favorite Answer

You will have to review what you agreed to.

Most people are responsible for selecting their own homeowners insurance even when it's paid via an escrow account. 

• Eva

You have the right to choose your own insurance. The only time they can choose for you is if you fall behind paying for it.  Since it would appear your insurance and taxes are kept in escrow, it will take a little more work to get the policy changed.  I don't know how they could have changed the policy without your signature.  I'd be very forceful with them and tell them you want the original policy you selected.  You could go behind their back and switch it yourself, but it might mess up the escrow.