Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsOther - Science · 2 months ago

If you didn't try the burning snow trick this last storm and still have snow... go and try it?

*Grab some snow, make it somewhat into a ball, light it with a lighter.... BE AMAZED

Update:

I have no clue, haven't looked much into it.... but is that NORMAL??? Or pollution??? or WHAT????

Update 2:

M - you are wrong, sorry you are dumb.... It's ok, not everyone had the opportunities I have had. Good try though....

2 Answers

Relevance
  • PIE
    Lv 5
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Put this in Science & Mathematics!

I'll try it!

The snow where the flame was directed did get a black tint.

It did smell like plastic burning.

Something to do with the gases in the flame that caused the reaction?

• 2 months ago

The snow does not turn black.

The black comes from soot deposited on the snow by the burning flame.

The smell comes from the various chemicals in the lighter fuel.

You may notice the snowball does not melt but it will get smaller. That is because the solid ice is turning directly into the gas water vapour rather than going through the soild state (water) first. This is a process called sublimation. (You were almost certainly taught sublimation in high school chemistry but have probably forgotten it.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.