drop-in bobbin vs front load?

is one better than the other one? is one easier to use? i need advice from personal experience. i used to own a front load machine, and idk if it was a defected or not but the thread kept getting caught inside.

• Rita
    6 days ago

When compared to front-loading counterparts, drop-ins provide better stitch quality and are much easier to thread. All drop-in bobbin machines (well, most of them)now come with a transparent cover. With this, you can keep track of the amount of thread left in the bobbin.

I have used shuttles and dropins the most and prefer them, but not found them any better or worse than front loaders for operation. If you are getting tangling it is the timing that is off and most ills can be cured by a change of needle and making sure it is in dead straight.

• GF

Front load cleans better, uses less water and doesn't twist your close 

I'll never buy a top load again 

• drip

If the thread kept getting caught, you were not threading it correctly.   You need to be sure both the top and bobbin thread are thread correctly. You need to catch the bobbin thread on its tension. You must thread the machine with the pressure foot UP!   And once threaded, bring the bobbin thread up and bring both thread tails behind the needle.  Then hold on to those tails for the first few stitches. Also be sure to change out your needle often and use the right size needle for the fabric you are using. Keep the bobbin area free from dust and bots of thread

Top drop load is faster. You don’t have to put the bobbin in the bobbin case.

If the thread was "catching" prime culprit is threading it wrong (make note if needle is in correct position and the presser foot is in correct position.)

Front load or drop-in bobbin makes f-all difference . 

I don't have a personal preference, but I learned and then sewed on a front-load machine for 30 years...and still use one. I only rarely have a problem with thread getting caught inside and when I do it's because I have made a mistake or not paid attention. I don't know why you couldn't get the same sort of problem with a top-load machine and I don't know that a front-load machine would be more prone to it.

I haven't had a top load machine for very long, but I don't see any particular advantage except that of being able to easily see whether the bobbin is about to run out of thread. I actually find it harder to remove the bobbin from it.

• T C

I learned how to sew at a young age due to being one of 10 kids.

Although my mom would eventually get to sewing she also worked at my dads office …so if you wanted it done…. Do it yourself.

I learned on a top load Singer Model 401G….which I retrieved when my mom died …love that machine.

Since then I have worked with the drop in…. and I know it’s easier and probably sews better but on the rare occasion I do any sewing …I still prefer the 401.

I've only had a front load bobbin, which has been fine for me. Usually if the thread is getting hung up or tangled on a front load, either the bobbin is wound wrong or been inserted into the case wrong. (I've been known to put it in reeling off the wrong side. Shocking, I know.)

I hear the drop-ins are easier to get right.

I've only used a drop in  but from what i have read they are much easier to thread and the stitching is better quality.Mine has a little arm that pulls the thread through the needle which is so much easier.Mine is a Brother LX3850 very happy with it.