Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Jack asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

If you have a bill for 30 dollars go to collections does it hurt your credit?

I cant pay this bill, business had illegitimate practices and doesn't answer the phone. I wouldn't even trust them with a check as there is nobody to talk to. Still they have my information and are threatening collections over 30 dollars. Just got my credit in good standing, is it ok not to pay? 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Anything that goes to collections hurts your credit.  

• Amy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It will hurt your credit a little, but you can put a note on each of your credit reports explaining that you have disputed the charge.

• 2 months ago

It is never OK NOT to pay.  You do, however, have the right to add a consumer statement to your credit report and explain why you did not pay.  Next, write a snail mail letter, certified, with copies made, to the creditor explaining why you are not paying,  Then, include a copy of this letter to your state agency which resolves this sort of problem.  If that does not work, then complain to the FDCPA compliance office of the Federal Trade Commission (Fair debt collection practices act). Before beginning with this admittedly time consuming process, write a brief snail mail letter to the creditor explaining that you will create a lot of paperwork for them if you do not resolve this, perhaps include a copy of the letter that you are about to write to them with the word draft written over the text of the letter so they know you are contemplating this. good luck

• n2mama
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sure, it’s ok not to pay it, but that doesn’t mean it won’t affect your credit. If they send you to collections, it will have a negative impact on your credit. If you just got your credit back to good standing, letting it get flushed down again over $30 makes very little sense. No info provided indicates that you don’t actually owe the debt (claiming they had illegitimate practices means nothing), so yes, they can absolutely damage your credit with this.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Damaging your credit over a $30 amount is absolutely stupid. Figure out a way to pay them.

• Audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Get a cashier's check at your bank. Then you have iron clad proof you paid them.

• 2 months ago

first call better business bureau and ask about that business, then call your credit score people..experian, etc and talk to them about it

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It could hurt your credit.

• 2 months ago

No.  It is not ok to not pay.

Read the other answer. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.