Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

Is it selfish to travel during a pandemic?

I find it extremely annoying how my sister is always traveling during a global pandemic and constantly uploading videos of her vacation on Instagram story. She went to Florida in December 2020, Tahiti in January 2021, now (February 2021) in Barbados and told me that she is thinking about going to the United Kingdom for her birthday this September 2021 and I’m like 🙄. Sometimes I wonder if she even have a job to be traveling (domestic and international) every month. I was forced to cancel my airline ticket in March 2020 because I couldn't see myself having fun when everything was starting to close. Why do people think it's okay to travel and pretend this pandemic is nothing to worry about? Even Ted Cruz is facing backlash for going on a vacation in Cancun, Mexico. I don't think it's fair that travelers are showing off their vacation to those who are staying home waiting patiently to travel again (like myself). Can this stupid pandemic be over already?

• ?

It is dangerous to travel now. You risk getting infected and you risk infecting other people. 

I suppose she is not breaking any law of her country or wherever she travels. Then that is totally up to her. She is on the other hands supporting people in travel and other industries by traveling and spending money which average people don't do now.

Yes, it is unless it's travel for essential business.

• ?

Not only is it selfish, its dangerous-

Everyone wants to complain that Covid is community spread, its a load of **** actually! All covid cases started, are current, and will continue because select idiots think its a brilliant idea to travel.

Had countries actually closed their borders, and banned flights a year ago, I gurantee you this pandemic would have been over 6 months ago, its continuing because of people travelling and governements not closing their borders/flights.

I work in a covid centre, I wish i could go on holiday but people aren't following the rules e.g.going on holiday or meeting with friends so I cant.

to be fair I think they shouldn't get a vaccine and suffer

Source(s): Dont dislike this, its people being selfish

Cruz faced a backlash because the media likes to have double standards.

The California Independent Policy Makers conference was in Hawaii in Nov.  This is made of Dems, Reps and everyone else. 1. California's were told not to travel, but all these politicians traveled.  2. Hawaii had a very strict quarantine regulation at the time that these politicians were not required to adhere to.  3.  If it's the conference for California politicians, why is it held in Hawaii where Hawaii not California gets the revenue that was generated by the conference??

-- Barely, a peep from the media about this. 

No one "forced" you to cancel your travel plans in March.  That was YOUR decision because YOU DECIDED that you don't think you would have enjoyed the trip. 

No, one can make you stay home.  You have brought that on yourself.  If this is what makes you feel comfortable and/or safe, that's your choice and your prerogative.  Not everyone has to make the same choices as you.

Also, there is a lot of information that has been gained in the last year.  So comparing March 2020 with the end of February 2021 makes you a covIDIOT.

If your don't like what your sister is sharing on instagram, DON'T WATCH.  No one is making you! 

Your sister has different ideas than you on how to keep herself healthy. 

I'm not keen on travel right now either.  Trust me, I'm not a covIDIOT and know how to keep myself safe regardless of what state or country I'm in.  However, the idea of traveling and still having to adhere to covid social protocols doesn't seem very enjoyable to me.

On the other hand, she's supporting the travel industry. Look, she's apparently done this safely, so you're clearly just jealous. Florida has been crammed with tourists since last summer- and since they can be outside, it may be safer than being at home.  However, it's somewhat unlikely that she'll be able to go to the UK in September. While rates are coming down in the US, the UK is struggling with new strains and a weak vaccination record. Airlines are going to be requiring proof of vaccination to fly internationally. 

If she's coming to the UK, she'll be quarantining on arrival... 

And yes - it's hugely selfish to travel during a pandemic. 

• John

I have found it to be true that only annoying people actually use that word, annoying. And sure enough there you are. Did your sister actually ASK for your advice on when and where she should or should not travel?

I can see your point, but I've traveled three times since the pandemic began.

Each time I followed health and safety protocol.

Two trips by airplane to attend to family needs and one by car to visit my children.

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'."