Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 months ago

How to learn about cars and trucks?

So my boyfriend is really into cars and trucks, and I'd like to learn more about them because he likes them, and it would be nice to actually know what he's talking about for once. I just don't know where to start, does anyone have any tips or starting points? 

• ?

Learn a few phrases and drop into conversations. 

Things like” that’ll be the emissions sensor playing up” 

“ mmm the suspension set up is too track focussed”

“ I reckon  coil overs would be the best option for fast road use”

Just trawl a few car owner sites , you’ll get the idea.

He won’t tell you what rubbish you’re talking, because he’s probably doing the same to you!

Go with him to a few races. Go to the pits. Listen To Him.

I listen to my wife about interior decorating, she listens to me about riding and fixing cars.  She Now knows difference between a Gold Wing (like her late hubby rode) and my  Harley,  by Looking and Listening to them. .She knew nothing, either, about  cars  until her late husband, a Ford  mechanic,  took her to races  to Show her what he'd talked of. 

edit: yeah, some V8 trucks w/open exhaust resemble a Harley's exhaust note...

You will not learn anything unless you get your hands dirty.  Buy a 30 year old beater preferably with a carb that is in need of major work, some basic tools and start wrenching.  Get someone to teach you.  Start by removing and replacing the tires and battery.  Good luck.

• GF

I think the easiest way is to see the function of each system. 

Animated GiF/videos that show each system functioning will give you the basics.

There is a lot to learn. For your situation, learn about the types of vehicles he usually speaks about.

When I was in the 10th grade, i took basic auto shop in high school. I still use what I learned 50 years ago today. Maybe you don't have high school shop available to you, but look into community college auto shop courses.

• CB

Read car magazines, watch car building shows on TV - wheeler dealers always explain the repairs in easy to understand terms. Two girls in a garage is another show you may find more to your liking. 

Buy a car magazine or read his if he has them. It's a good job he's not a quantum physicist or you would be stymied.

Trucks make a louder brum brum noise than cars.