Do mothers hold their baby with the umbilical c ord still attached immediately after delivery? ?

I’m trying to understand the delivery process after the birth has happened and have conflicting information. 

Most doctors recommend waiting 1-3 minutes to cut the umbilical cord, but I’ve been told that babies are handed to their mothers immediately after birth. 

The average umbilical cord is 60cm long, which is about two feet, and I understand that it is attached to the placenta but that usually isn’t delivered until a few minutes after birth. 

So does that mean a mother is holding their baby with the umbilical cord still attached to the placenta inside them? How do they hold their babies if the umbilical cord is only about two feet long? 

• ?

Yes. They lay the baby long ways (not side ways, if you know what I mean) on the mother's chest/torso and the cord is long enough for that.