Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

normal for a growing Doberman to be aggressive playing?

Our Doberman had pups we kept 1.the dogs 5 months and keeps biting us while playing.weve bought him half a dozen toys which he plays with chews on. The vet doesn’t want us to use chew sticks.bites often during play.gets aggressive playing with his mother dog who lets him go scotfree

Julie I came for advise if an expert I wouldn’t asking questions.dont need your sarcasm.got the dog one yr old.

Favorite Answer

All puppies mouth. This is where training begins for you. In his litter with his other siblings, what would happen naturally is play fighting, when they mouth or bite too hard a sibling would let out a high pitched yelp. This tells pups that they have bit too hard. Learning how to play fight and the boundaries of nipping in play with play with pups occurs within this social circle in the litter. He doesn't have his other siblings now, he has you.

My advice when he mouths or bites you or your hands to let out a high pitched yelp and immediately fold your arms and ignore him (ie: not make eye contact and turn your back) only acknowledge pup when he comes up to nose you and say good boy and then you can continue with play. He will eventually learn that biting toys is ok but not bits of people. 

During this time I would also advise members of your family to not play with him with their hands. For example some people rough house with their dogs with their hands and no toys and let them hold a hand or arm in their mouth.. This is a big no.

Your hands and arms are not to be seen as extensions of toys. I would also limit the play time with toys that have to be held by hand all the time, so try and not grab toys out of his mouth and restrict how much tug of war you play with ropes etc until you are satisfied he understands. This is a good time to train in fetch, so he is giving it to you, when you pick up fetch toy in your hand he is not to grab it.

Another good tip at a young age is to try and not make as many hand movements around your pup and try and not do the sneak and grab (I have seen many people do this, playing with their dog, both looking at toy and dog is waiting for owner to grab the toy so dog can snatch it first). 

Basically encourage the fact his toys are the only thing that should enter his mouth, other than food obviously. Any time he nips a part of your body there should immediate disconnect from play, high pitched yelp (you can follow this with a noise like ah ah! or no - whatever is comfortable with you as long as you say it calmly right after the yelp, never shout, it only causes fear which stops learning), fold arms and no eye contact until your pup realises ok play stopped, what's up nudge (and they learn quickly something is wrong). The bonus of adding ahah! or no after means that in future training if you do not want him to do something, or to drop something you can say it and they will understand ok, I have done something they don't want me to do here.

To put it in perspective, I taught my dog like this, once they are past this stage you stop the yelping but as I had always added in Ah Ah, my dog now understands that as a command to not do something. She could go to walk out the door and if I say it she will stop dead and look at me to see what I want her to do. I also taught her in hand signals. For example every time I said sit I raised my forearm up, wait was holding my palm up with forearm raised. Eventually I have been able to get her to sit, wait, lie down, rollover and shoot a finger gun at her to drop and play dead, all without vocal commands. This had the benefit of turning my hands into communication devices rather than play things. If you want to try this too all you need to do is accompany your verbal training with a hand signal. I would work on perfecting the verbal commands first though before bringing in hand signals as you can confuse your pup if you give them too much information all at once. 

EDIT: With regards to pups mum I would remove pup from the room if he becomes aggressive to her. Don't leave him out of the room too long as he will forget the connection between his behaviour and why he was removed and just become stressed. Just say whatever your stop word will be (no, ahah etc), say nothing else, lead him into another room and close the door. Count to about 20 slowly. bring him back in and make him sit in his bed if he knows that yet, if he acts excited do not acknowledge it, in fact do not acknowledge him anyway when you let him back in. Remember, calm and little words. Best way to go.

If he goes up to his mum and gets aggressive again after this just repeat. Remember do not get louder, or angrier, just do the same exact thing over and over. Eventually he will think, ok when I get like this I am made to leave the fun. Slow, steady, calm and repetitive behaviour along with rewarding good behaviour is all dog training is about.  

It’s normal for young pups to bite as their teeth are growing in and they’re teething. But if it gets too carried away and continues long after their teeth are in and mature, then you have to take the necessary steps to correct this issue before it gets out of hand. Disciplinary school for dogs will teach them not only not to bite but how to obey you as their master.

Simple.  The dog was never taught not to bite.  Teaching a pup not to bite starts at about 8 weeks old.  Dog needs to be taught not to bite.  Google, 'how to teach a 5 month old dog not to bite', it is not too late.  Learn how to do it & then apply what you learned.  All dogs need training.

It's not for mum to be correcting a 5 month old puppy.    If his playing gets too much in terms of biting, it's totally up to YOU to correct this, and sooner better than later as he has to learn that biting humans is a huge no-no.    He may be teething, so provide him with things to chew - a damp flannet/cloth put in the freezer is a good cheap option.

I don't buy rawhide chew sticks after one of mine got a soggy mass stuck down his throat - I was lucky, or he was, to get it out before he choked.    Nylabones are good as are bones, with you around to keep an eye on things.

If/when he gets that worked up, stand up, say NO BITING, take him outside to empty and back to where he sleeps.   Dogs hate being ignored, but he has to learn this lesson.    And this behaviour isn't confined to the Doberman either.

So, you got a dog old enough (and well enough trained) she did not bite - so you have never learned...ALL puppies mouthe or nip/bite and it is YOUR JOB to teach them NOT to, especially on human: skin, clothes or hair.  That TRAINING should have started at 8 weeks & should be largely done by 5 months, but it seems you never thought to start.  Woe to you!

Follow Ruby & Julie's advice as to the biting of you (PLURAL) and picking on MOM and stop getting DEFENSIVE.  You are WAY BEHIND and now have an out of control biting JUVENILE DELINQUENT of a puppy.  It is not just 'teething' so chew sticks are useless. 

If you cannot figure out how to stop the biting - hire a private trainer to help you and please also start basic OBEDIENCE training, as you need full control of both dogs, since these are a PROTECTIVE BREED - and you must be in full charge of what can be equal to a loaded gun.

"Biting us while playing"  does not equal aggression.  He's a dog.  Puppies and dog's "mouth."  They don't have hands so they use their mouths.  I seriously doubt that this puppy has any aggression but rather that it needs to be TAUGHT what is acceptable behavior and what is not.  Teach your puppy not to "mouth" you whilst playing.  He has to learn and he can't learn unless he's taught, not to mention that he's teething right now which makes "mouthing" quite a usual behavior at this age.  Also, his Mother dog lets him go scot free.......NOT HER JOB TO TEACH HIM.  Her job was done when the pup was weaned, so to her, he's just another canine living under your roof even if they have lived together since her puppy was born.  How on earth did you manage to raise this pup's Mother/Dam until she was an adult?  What are you letting her puppy get away with that you didn't let her get away with?  It's YOUR JOB to train your animals and for the love of God, please have BOTH dogs altered (spayed and castrated) BEFORE your adult female ends up pregnant again by her own Son or ANY other dog.  Bottom line, do NOT breed another litter again.  Thank you.

Edit:  I wasn't being sarcastic.  I was trying to give you some solid advice and if you're having issues with training, then sign up for a puppy training and socialization class.  Also, if you got the Mother when she was a year old, you also had the choice to have her spayed before she ended up having a litter of pups or at least keeping her safe so she wouldn't end up pregnant.  I've owned Dobermans for nearly 40 years, so this breed isn't new to me, but I'd give the same advice no matter what breed or mixed you would have asked about.

its like your asking "how to not make my dog act like a dog?"

- get a fish

yes it is