Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 2 months ago

Why are the walls of a New York studio apartment always brick?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

True only for studio apartments of a certain age (1920-1935 roughly) when it was encouraged as a fire preventive.  I rent out the equivalent of studio apartments in a building that dates to 1895, and not a brick in the entire place.  It only got indoor plumbing and electricity in 1921!

• 2 months ago

Fire protection.  It keeps fires from spreading as easily from one apartment to another.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You are making an incorrect assumption.  The walls of New York studio apartments are not always brick.  Is this something you've seen on television or in movies?  If so, there's a good chance that someone from Los Angeles designed the set.  I'm from New York City, born and raised, and I can remember only one studio apartment that had one or two walls that were brick.  And that was a tiny studio apartment that was very expensive. . . and not in all that good a neighborhood.

There is, obviously, a perception that making the walls brick will suggest a New York atmosphere.  That's why it's done that way in the movies and TV.  

Hope this helps.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.