Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

Why does my body demand 12 hours of sleep?

It doesn't have be precisely 12 hours, it can be anything from 10-13 hours. I might wake up during that and I might not. I take Seroquel to help me sleep (prescribed) but I've had this issue since long before being on Seroquel. I'm practically nocturnal with how bad my sleep schedule is. It's almost 7:30am and I'm going to sleep now. Most likely, I'll be getting up at 6:30pm-8pm and that pisses me off because I get less time in my "day". My ideal sleep schedule is be in bed by 2:30am latest and wake up around noon. It's hard to achieve this though when I sleep so long that it makes me not tired when I should sleep. 

Regardless of how long I sleep, I will always be extremely tired. I do attribute this to minimal physical activity during the day and lack of movement but I feel like it's not that. If I wake up before the 12-ish hours and try to stay up, I'll be awake for about an hour and then I'll crash and be nearly falling asleep at my desk. 

I apologize for the messy post and probably insufficient info but I need help with this and I've tried so many things. I sleep through alarms, they don't wake me up 99% of the time. I know that getting into a routine will help but I don't know how to get started if I'm always sleeping for half the day. I don't want my days to only be 7 hours before sleeping just so I can fix my sleep schedule. I already get anxiety about not having enough time to do the stuff I want to.

I need help fixing this as a first step in rehabilitating my life.

• Eva
    Favorite Answer

Talk to a doctor about doing a sleep study.  You shouldn't need to sleep that long and you're going to need professional guidance to break the cycle you've gotten yourself into.  You should also have a work-up to see if there is some deficiency in your system that is making you excessively tired.

Yes, I'm aware this isn't relevant to personal finance. I have no clue as to why it defaulted to this. I typed it out, half awake, and didn't think about categories.

unrelated to pf.