Sanu asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 weeks ago

I dont get how saying "To speak American" is wrong?

Some says. Its english. Which is true. But you also have people saying. You speak British or such? We know they speak english. But its probably done to know what english they speak?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

It is not complete.   You would say "I speak American English" or "I speak British English" or you could say "I speak English".      To be honest, all English is the same.  The only difference between English speaking countries is the accent.

Some countries also have different terms for some items.   In America, we call it "Pants" but in England, people refer it as "Trouser".       

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

English is a language. American is not a language. People speak with different accents, and sometimes use different terms of course. They also spell things differently depending on location. For example, a lot of British writing includes "ou" in word where Americans might not include it; like flavoured. honoured, or favourite. Whereas, most Americans would typically write flavored, honored, or favorite.

Source(s): Personal Experience
  • 2 weeks ago

Try not to perseverate on the "wrong" you cite, Sanu.  The English language in its purest form has been "Americanized" over the years or, as some British folks might say, "bastardized" into all sorts of mish-mash garble---from hillbilly to red neck to southern drawls of various sorts, to Bostonians adding a nonexistent 'h' to its 'o' ("Bahstin" for example), or New Jersey's 'oi' distortions (New Joisey), and so on.  You also have different dialects among states that include renaming certain words that might mean "condoms" in the Midwest, but which mean "sprinkles put on ice cream on Cape Cod."  Is there such a thing as "American" in terms of any one language or are we a crazy-quilt conglomerate of every possible language all rolled into one country?  

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

English is a language. Depending on where you live in the world, you will speak English with an accent. In America we speak the English language with an American accent just as an Australian speaks English with an Australian accent. American is not a language.

Spanish is a langage that was developed in Spain and that is now spoken in many South American countries. Someone living in Peru speaks Spanish - not Peruvian. Granted they would speak Spanish with a Peruvian accent. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

It's just as wrong to ask, "Do you speak British?" as it is to ask, "Do you speak American?"

The correct question in both cases is, "Do you speak English?"

Yes, there are several differences between the British and the American branches of English. But they are not different languages.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Because 'American' is not a language.  You can say 'American English' to distinguish it from British English.

No-one says that they speak British.  British isn't a language.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

There's no such language as "American."  Stay in school.

• Pete
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

LOL. There is only one English language. Americans, Canadians, Australians and Jamaicans just speak a different dialect of English. Do Canadians speak Canadian and Australians speak Australian? Do people in Mexico speak Mexican or Spanish?

• 2 weeks ago

It may unpopular or even rude to say but still technically correct. 

• God
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

I think the better way to say it is American English versus British English.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.