Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Are cycling helmets for wimps?

When I was a kid no one wore helmets and none of us got hurt. Why should I wear one now because society tells me to?

Favorite Answer

Be sure to sign the back of your driver's license or state I.D. card stating it's OK to use left over parts for donor transplants.  If you don't die, you might be lucky and get a big, fat nurse named Bertha feeding you from a straw.  

The main reason I hear people complaining about helmets is..."They're too hot."  Well, quit buying junk from Walmart.  A good, well ventilated helmet will be just as strong with more air flow.  This one has 22 vents compared to some at the discount stores with maybe 7 or 8 openings. https://www.giro.com/p/register-mips-bike-helmet/1...  

Besides a helmet, I also incorporate a helmet mounted rear view MIRROR! https://www.efficientvelo.com/home/safezone/1urwnl...  I want to see those @ssholes in cars coming.  Worse than cars...rookie school bus drivers who don't realize the width of the vehicle they're driving.   

When I was a kid, I did lots of stuff that, looking back, was stupidly dangerous. I lived. That doesn't mean that what I did was safe, it means I beat the odds. Helmets increase your odds.

• Jon

I remember the first time I saw one, being worn by an American tourist who had presumably brought it with him as they were unknown here then (1977 or thereabouts). 

But no, not for wimps if I have understood the term correctly, but the opposite. Helmets make good sense for recreational riders doing risky specialist riding like racing or 'mountain biking' on rough tracks. They are less important for ordinary utility cycling, which is the kind I would associate more with 'wimps' who prefer to avoid risks. 

Hence helmets seem very popular in the USA, where cycling seems to be largely treated as a recreational activity, but very rare in the Netherlands were cycling is everyday transport.

Ummm helllo LOSER, this  is the dumbest question obviously asked by a novice cycler, you have never seen the tail end of a 30 mph grinder with your face hole. Bust out that bi wheel, shred some asphalt and then come see me FRIJOLE.... if not story off the track!

• David

”When I was a kid no one wore helmets and none of us got hurt.” 

Either you and your friends were AMAZINGLY lucky. 

Or you were seriously into stamp collecting, chess, and other sit-down activities. 

Or you’ve forgotten or suppressed the bad stuff. 

Or you’re trolling.

I could EASILY treat you to a barrage of accident stories, self-experienced and witnessed. 

Since we survived, I can’t claim that helmets would have saved our lives.

But if I could replay my childhood with helmets for me and my friends, there would definitely be a few concussions and a bunch of scalp lacerations and abrasions less.

Oh, and a fair bit of pain would never have been experienced.”Why should I wear one now because society tells me to?”

Well, if you LIKE avoidable pain, ENJOY spending time and money in the ER, and feel THRILLED about the thought of persistent headaches, go right on and keep ignoring helmets.

Maybe you can comfort yourself with the old idea that ”chicks dig scars” while you’re waiting for treatment for an entirely avoidable injury.

To me, wearing a helmet is a bit like washing your hands before a meal, after having used the toilet. 

There’s no guarantee that any single wash will save me from a stomach upset, but it’s so EASY to do. I’ll happily spend those seconds if that’s what it takes to save me from hours on the toilet.

Similarly helmets. If a lifetime of helmet use saves me ONE visit to the ER, I’ll consider it money, effort and comfort well spent. Even minor head injuries can be a major drag.

Yes they are. I am a wimp so I never ride a bicycle without a helmet after I got a concussion from being thrown off a bike on a dirt trail in 1989. I did not wear a helmet that day because i forgot to bring it. I should have gone home instead of riding on that day.  I would rather be a healthy wimp than a crippled alpha male. Call me what you want, but I would not ride a bike without a helmet for more than 50 ft. 

• ?

It protects your head in case you get into an accident. You may not have been in an accident yet but you might very soon.

No wonder you posted using the Anonymous feature.  You're clueless.  When I was a kid, people didn't drive distracted talking or texting on cell phones.  They hadn't been invented yet.  People weren't driving around smokin' dope or cranking up a 500 watt stereo system either.

Hell...when I was a kid, the bike helmet didn't exist as yet.  The first modern type helmets didn't come along until the mid to late 70's.  https://www.helmets.org/history.htm

Want another fun fact?  A full 45% of all adult bicycle crashes are 'solo falls'.  Are you perfect?     

We got hurt all the time. We LEARNED from it.

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with wearing a helmet as an adult.

Bikes are going a lot faster than back then. Faster speed means a bigger impact when you crash. 

You don’t have to wear a helmet if you don’t want to. Just means there will be extra organs for people who needs it.