Hallie asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

Can I keep owning my raccoon in Washington state?

I live in Florida (you can see why I'm moving, now) and I own a raccoon that I got from a reputable breeder and I have a class 3 permit for. They specify say, in Washinton state, you can't take a wild animal out of the wild and make it into a pet. My raccoon is 5th generation domesticated and unable to be put back into the wild.

dont live in washington so have no idea

Sadly, you cannot keep a raccoon for pets in Washington state.

There is not even a waiver in situations like yours.

• *****

They are not legal to keep as pets in the state of Washington. Permits are only granted to keep them to facilities like zoos and wildlife rehabilitation centers. Your pet will need to be found a new home in your current state or another where they are legal if you're moving to Washington. 

If your story were real, you'd need an import permit from the Washington State Department of Agriculture.