Do initials following honorifics require spaces?

Is the correct stylization

Mrs. A.G.

or

Dr. E. F.

for first and last initials that come after titles?

Hi everyone, thank you for your responses. I am asking specifically about spaces between first and last initials, not full stops or spaces within titles (e.g., Ph.D), and from an American stylization. I will not be omitting the full stops whatsoever because I am not writing in British English. Please direct me to the literature that supports your answers.

Favorite Answer

No. You don't need the spaces. Mrs. A.G. is right.

Source(s): Worked in offices during the paper letter era. That's correct.

The use of spaces rather than full stops (as we Drs. call them) came about with typescript, but punctuation is still used in manuscript. Follow a style manual like Harvard or Oxford which gives you all the rules and makes life a whole lot easier. What you have is not wrong - it just looks a bit old fashioned. 

This is a style issue.  My favored style is to omit the space between initials: not J. R. Brown or J. R. B, but instead J.R. Brown, J.R.B.  I just see no point in adding the spaces after the period, the period does the job already.  Is that what everyone does? No.

It does depend on the forum, what you are writing in.  I frequently just write JRB rather than J.R.B. or J. R. B.  I don't write N.A.T.O. much either, although that isn't a person's name.   RGB for Ruth Bader Ginsberg, AOC for for what's-her-name, and so on, is fairly common in many forums, but more typically starting out only in informal writing like email or places like this (YahooAnswers). If it becomes very common and recognizable, formal publications such as newspapers might adopt it.

in general, in America, the answer is no.  example:  Ph.D. is written in this manner [no spaces]

No. And normally you omit full stops even though the titles are contractions. It depends on the specific style manual you are following. For Oxford you omit punctuation and rely on spaces:

J R R Tolkein

Mr F R S Leavis

Mr A J P Taylor.

The only real rule is to be consistent.