Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentOther - Environment · 2 months ago

Why can’t Texas handle a little bit of snow?

I don’t understand how they could possibly be so unprepared. I know snow isn’t that common there, but it’s definitely not the first time they’ve had snow. They get a couple inches of snow and some cold temperatures, and they act like the world is ending. Their power grid can’t even handle people turning on their heat (but can handle all the AC in the summer). Their grocery stores are all sold out of food and supplies, and they don’t have a clue how to handle it. I’ve always known southern states to be terrible at handling snow, but this is a whole new level of failure. 

I’ve lived my whole life in upstate NY, and we don’t bat an eyelash at a couple inches of snow, and our power grid is capable of handling everyone using either heat or AC at the same time. I just don’t understand how they could be so unprepared for a few days of cold weather and a little snow and ice. Someone must have miserably failed at doing their job if millions of people are stuck in the dark because the power grid can’t handle people’s heaters. The people who live in Texas are not experienced with driving in snow, but it seems unacceptable that all modern conveniences of society are shut down just because of a little snow. They deal with hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes, but can’t handle something that happens all the time in most of the US. 

Honestly...I wouldn't have the slightest clue. Seeing ad theyve had this kinda of event happen before. In northern Michigan however we have snow pretty much 5+ months out of the damn year so we are always prepared for at least a foot of snow and  negative degree temps. I just think its crazy how they cant seem to function what so ever when/if they are hit by a storm. Not even the state government is handling it well 

Because they don't have the infrastructure, I live in Scotland, which is pretty far north but even we aren't prepared for masses of snow