Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

When traveling internationally and going through customs, should one's appearance be tip top and tidy?

Such as dressing more formal/business casual or even steadily conservative, clean cut, polite and such things of that nature?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Just be polite, don't act impatient, and answer all questions without hesitation.

• 2 months ago

Yes. It will help to have a good perception of you.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can if you want but how you act while going through customs is far more important to a customs officer compared to how you're dressed.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Dress comfortable for a long flight.   Formal/business is not comfortable. 

Clean Cut is good.  Take a Shower before you go to the airport.

• 2 months ago

That doesn't fully matter, but you should be polite and cooperative.

• 2 months ago

Yes, it helps. When we had a direct flight from Amsterdam, many of my students reported being stopped at the local airport and searched. They were, without exception, young males with beards. On the other hand, I've read that customs workers watch for affluent-looking women with a lot of jewelry, as they have been known to be trying to smuggle in jewelry, purses, other expensive items to sell. I look like an English teacher- neatly and plainly dressed- and I've never been bothered. 

• 2 months ago

...if only people dressed as such alla'da' time...

• 2 months ago

Tip top is not necessary. Tidy should be all the time.

DO as asked.

ANSWER any questions

If they want to inspect your stuff they will. One reason you do not cram to bursting your luggage.

They have a job to do and have no desire to fill out extra paperwork before they go home.

Look like and behave like the other passengers.

• 2 months ago

Looking well dressed and well groomed is not a guarantee of friendly treatment from any airline or airport staff, but it does increase the chances.

As for "polite", only idiots are rude to airline or airport staff. They have immense power over you and you'd better not forget it.

EDIT to add: "Tip-top" is an extremely old fashioned and quaint adjective.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Smart casual, clean and tidy. Some are dirty slobs, at least in my country they are. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.