Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

I am adopted, should I find my birth parents even though they were teenagers when I was born?

My mom who adopted me says my birth mother was a very sweet teenage girl whose parents were very sad that she was having to give me up. My birth father however was in juvenile hall for robbery and drugs.  People change over time I figure but I also know he might not have.

Should I meet my birthparents? Should I just meet the birthmother? I would have to go through the search process as I don’t even know their names but Catholic charities has them. I was born in 1996.  

Favorite Answer

So whilst most films will have you believe that it's a magical and exciting idea to find your birth parents. Sometimes in reality it's very different. Often when you meet there is an aqwardness and people often have no idea what to say to each other. However if you think you'll always wonder about her then sure go for it. Probably better to try than to not bother and regret.

Your mother I would say give it a go, your father may be see what she says first and then consider. He doesn't sound like a good person and you have to consider that he might use you

• ?

It's your decision, not ours. 

It really depends on what you hope to gain from doing so.  As Rock the Boat notes, many birth parents are NOT interested in being found or engaging in a relationship with a child they gave up for adoption.  If that is your goal. you may be very disappointed.  

If your goal is to get some medical history or ancestry information, you may be able to do that more easily and effectively using an ancestry website and a DNA test.