Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Can I have my dad in the delivery room?

I know this questions sounds weird, but I’m curious only because I’ve never heard of this happen before. I’m due to deliver next month. Where I live we’re now allowed up to 2 people in the delivery room. My boyfriend who’s the baby’s father will obviously be there. Unfortunately, my mom was very abusive to me growing up and can be a toxic person at times, so I do not want her there. My dad has always been a kind person and was always there for me when I needed him, and I was closer to him than my mom. So I decided that I want him with me while I deliver too. My boyfriend was ok with this when I explained it to him. Will the hospital staff let my dad in too if I tell them it’s ok?

I appreciate the answers. And yes, my father is willing to be there with me.

• L

This decision needs to be made by you and your boy friend only.  If it were me.........no matter how close I was to my mom or dad.............I would NOT want either one of them in the delivery room.  I would want to wait until the baby is born and clean before I'd let them see the newborn.

IT'S FINE!!!! My father was there for my 1st daughters birth! (I was a Daddy's girl!!) He stood towards the head of the bed so he didn't see my cootie cat! I was young and scared so having him there helped alot. Don't let the trolls get in your head! You do you! 

Source(s): Mom of 25 years
  • ?

“If a mother has had a C section, a father is present to deliver important skin-to-skin contact directly after birth.” “Fathers' empowerment, intimacy for the couple, closer bonding for parents and baby, and baby benefiting from the microbiome at birth” are all valuable reasons for dads to be present, she says.

• ?

yes why not , plenty of fathers watch the delivery . if they watched some thing go in it , then why not something come out .

No, you can only have the baby in there!

Your Dad has already been born to his mother years ago dear.

It’s basic biology.....

Check with the hospital or ask your doctor this question. 

• ?

The nurses, staff that are in there with you will ask you, who do you want in and who do you wish not to be allowed in. Tell them the truth, tell them what it is you want, and they will see to it.  Yes, they will allow dad if that is what you wish, over mom. But rest assured, mom will have something to say about it for years to come.

• ?

Yes.  Where i live the nobody is allowed in with the mother until she goes upstairs to the labour unit.  (Except girls 17 and under).  But that’s where i live, you get triaged without your family and they’ll meet you later before the delivery

Probably not during COVID. Pre-COVID, you could have pretty much anyone you wanted in the deliver room unless there were complications that require an OR.  Today, you'd have to specifically ASK the hospital where you plan to deliver what their policies are.  They differ depending on your location.  Your dad and boyfriend may be required to do a rapid COVID test before being allowed into the delivery room -- and you'll be tested too.  If you're positive, they have a protocol for that. 

I think you probably also want to ask your father if he really wants to witness this.  The vast majority of adult couples only have the father in attendance during the final stages of deliver and birth.  

And we, the internet at large, are going to know because?