Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What should you store on your computer and what should you not?

Should you store all of your passwords on your computer? Or should you keep them on a thumb drive?

Should you store all of your music on the computer? Should you store all of you music videos on the computer?

I have a 6 terabyte hard disk drive and Windows 10 home. 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

1) Passwords.  There are programs that you can use to store your passwords on your computer in an encrypted format.  That way if someone steals the computer they do not have access to your passwords.  But you would also want to store them somewhere off the computer so that if it were to crash, get stolen, die, etc.  If the ONLY copy you have of your passwords is on the computer, good luck getting them back.  You should have two copies of your passwords.  At least one not on your computer.  

2) Music.  Depends on where and how you listen to your music.  I keep very little on my computer because I rarely actually listen to music on my computer.  When I do listen to it, it is usually on ,y phone.  So most of my music is stored on an external drive with a copy on a cloud storage site as a backup.  

3) Videos.  See answer about music.  But also video files tend to be huge.  It does not take long to fill up even a 6 TB drive.  So most of my videos are on an external drive.

If you have a 6 TB drive, how is it set up?  Hopefully you are NOT using the entire 6 TB as one giant drive.  That would make your computer crawl.  The larger the drive, the more time it takes for Windows to find files on it.  Think for a record on a record player.  Whenever Windows looks for a file, it starts at the center of the "record"  and reads out until it finds your file.  If the file is 5 TBs out on the drive....  You get the idea.

So with a physical drive of the size it is recommended that you partition into more than one logical drive.  You create a C: that is about 520 GB and there is where you install Windows.  That will always be the first section on your hard drive and so Windows will be able find those files faster.  

You create second partition (about 2 TB) and you use that install all your programs.  Most programs will give you option where you want to install them.  You create a "Program Files" directory on the D: and use it instead of the one of the C: drive.  (Any program that does not have an option will have to be installed on C;.)  That way if your Windows install goes bad and you have to reinstall it, all your programs are still over on the other drive.

The remaining space is then used for storing data files.  Things like you music, videos, any documents you create, photos, pictures, etc.  By having them on a separate partition like that, Windows can find them faster (it only has to look at that partition.)  You can back them up y just backing up that partition.  And if you get a new computer you know where they all are to easily move them over to the new computer.  Plus again, if Windows crashes, you get a virus, etc., you can clear out the Windows partition and reinstall, and all your data is still there and untouched.

• 2 months ago

It really doesn't matter what you keep on your computer so long as you have two things: 1) the system is secure. This means you have a password to get into the system and you don't share it with anyone.  2) You backup everything on your system regularly to a secondary location NOT on your computer.  

That's it.  So long as you have that, there is no set rules of what to save and what not to save.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.