Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 2 months ago

Front License Plate New York?

I'm aware a front license plate is required in New York but is it something heavily enforced? I'm in Washington State where it's also a requirement but it's not heavily enforced at all. I haven't had a front plate for 3 years and have yet to be pulled over for it. I see nice cars (Tesla/BMW) which almost never have front license plates. Just curious if it's a similar situation in New York City. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Both front and back plates are required and enforced in NYC.  It is a absolute certainty a car lacking either plate will be ticketed, and if being driven the driver will be pulled over and made to show license, registration and insurance card.  Lacking any of those will get an additional summons.

In fact, lacking license or registration could get you arrested, especially if dwb.

Only if you are doing something stupid you have to worry about as even if you have if and it is at the improper height, covered/masked, etc, it will be a problem.

When you have some time, go to Yahoo Search and type in "262626R" and look at the results, and have a laugh.

Me, I keep my front plate in the car and leave it on the dash when parked. While moving about, it's between or under the seats so it doesn't slide and scratch the dash. The only ticket I have gotten while moving is for my air freshener. The cop said it was for obstruction of view. He was originally trying to get me on speeding but my scrambler in the bumpers gave him no reading.

You only need to have a front license plate if the state the vehicle is registered in requires a front plate. 

• ?

let's put it this way......if caught, you've surely earned yourself a ticket.......and then as he's writing it out, might snag you for broken tail light, expired insurance or 20 other things. 

Why provoke them into pulling you over. ? 

• ?

Yes, the front plates are required and this rule is enforced.  Moreover, you cannot have a transparent cover over the plates. 

Yes, it is enforced here. I couldn’t say how often, because most people just put the plates on their car. They may not notice because they mostly only see the back of the car. But if they notice, they will likely pull you over for it.