Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 2 months ago

My almost two year old does NOT listen to me whatsoever.. What can I do?!?!?!?!?

My son does NOT listen to me. No matter how stern I am, no matter if I raise my voice at him or try slapping his hand (Lightly) he will NOT listen to me. He thinks it's funny when I try disciplining him. He'll laugh when I tell him no and if I try telling him to stop. He recently started throwing his toys at me like his blocks and when I tell him to stop he laughs. It works when I put his toys up high so he can't reach it but then he'll just get another toy and throw that it at me. I would have to put away all his toys in order for him to stop throwing them at me. 

I can't even take him to the store with me. He'll run off and think it's funny when I chase him. Then I try putting him in the cart and he just throws the items out of the cart. He will NOT listen to me. Doesn't matter how stern, if I raise my eyebrows, if I get to his level..NOTHING works. He thinks it's a game when he runs away from me and I chase after him. He thinks I'm playing with him. I'm sick of him not listening to me and I don't want him to grow up thinking he can do whatever he wants and not have to listen to me.

What can I do about him not listening to me in the store and hitting me with his toys at home??? I don't want to not just bring him to the store because of his behavior. I want him to be able to listen to me and not misbehave.

Thank you.

talk to Dr.s of child psy. for tips

• LizB

If yelling at your kid or swatting his hand doesn't work, then stop doing that and try something else. If he throws his toys at you and won't stop when told, then *take his toys away.* Yes, ALL of them if you have to. Abuse the toy, lose the toy. Simple. If he runs aware in public, get him a child leash, strap him in a stroller, or figure out how to do your shopping without having to take him in the store (leave him with your spouse, get groceries before you get him at daycare, do curbside pick-up, etc). If he keeps doing things you don't want him to do and he will not respond to attempts at correction, then the answer is to make it impossible for him to keep doing those things until he's better at self-control.

As for getting a 2 year old to always be obedient and do what you say... lol, not gonna happen. You're raising a human, not a show pony, and testing boundaries is normal at this age. Eventually your child will learn better impulse control, but for now you need to simply adjust expectations and be consistent with behavior guidelines. Also, make sure you're not only punishing bad behavior. Praise and reward good behavior, too. Setting clear and simple expectations for behavior, then getting lots of positive attention for desired behavior and little to no response to naughty behavior (except when you HAVE to intervene for safety) increases the likelihood of the child repeating action that earned them positive, loving attention.

It's interesting when the child is allowed to run the entire show, like yours does.

First, stop hitting him! Research shows that children who are hit act up more than those who aren't. They don't trust their parents any more. Second, each child is different. You have to find what matters to them. With mine, if they acted up in a store, we immediately left. Yes, we sometimes left full carts of groceries, or if there were two of us, one sat in the car with the child while the other finished the shopping. When the kids found out that the fun stopped when they acted up, they learned to behave. With one, who was very sociable, if she acted up, we just quietly picked her up and put her in her crib, alway from the rest of the family. She hated that, so she learned to behave. Yes, the toys should go away if he throws them. But you can't expect a two year old to understand anything very complex- and yelling at him certainly isn't going to do any good. He has to want you to be happy with him, and that means that things have to be fun when you are happy with him. 

• Kieth

Slap him hard across his bare butt twice and tell him he's not the boss. If he even looks like he is going to defy you again repeat the process. Or do you want to tell the judge that he's always been a good boy and never did anything wrong in another ten years?

• ?

maybe you should take his toys for a while so he learns not to do that