Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Rmp asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Why do people flee blue states like New York and California to move to red states like Texas and North Carolina?

Update:

Anon. - California lost 70,000 people from 2019 to 2020.  New York lost over 125,000 in that time period.  And, btw, New York hasn't been second in population for quite awhile- Texas and Florida both have more people.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, I am a native born Californian and our state used to be great.  Not only, was our beauty and variety of landscape magnificent (all that still is), with areas where you can surf in the morning, schuss on skis down the snowy hills in the afternoon and pass through the beautiful desert in between.

But, the left/liberal ideals of a few have ruined it.  Our surplus $ has been frittered away, misused and STOLEN, and we now have so many people who take no pride or ownership in our state.  Our roads used to be great, now good luck, that you don't break an axle.  Our schools are failing because no one has the cajones to say the truth, that the illegal population, who are arriving without the grade level basics to even be taught, because they haven't been to school in their home country, are using up all the resources and teacher's time!

We still have the world's best weather, by a long shot.  Our real estate prices continue to rise.  You will not pick up cheap property here.  Those immigrants, without educations and without high paying jobs will never be able to buy a home.  Renting, is all they can hope to do.  Many of them rent ROOMS, like a garage from people and do day labor work, all under the table, then send money-orders home to the south.  Those of us who live in the burbs or rural areas, are seeing our real estate house taxes going up, in response to all the increasing values.  People are moving out of the big cities.

• 2 months ago

I think there are a plethora of reasons why people are moving away from New York and California. Apart from the obvious reasons like the economy, air quality is also an important one. The AQI has been extremely high according to most sources like IQ air or Climacell in both the states, so people are probably moving to areas with cleaner air.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The exodus from California is mostly due to high cost of living.  California has a white hot economy.  Which is good.  But it has driven up housing prices, particularly in the Bay Area and Los Angeles area, where many Californians live.  People are leaving mostly because they realize that they can get more for their money in other states.

In New York it's partially closer to what you seem to be implying: that liberal policies are to blame.  The big driver there is the weather.  New York has chilly winters, and many people don't like that.  So some of them, particularly retirees but also others, move down to Florida and the Sun Belt to escape the cold Northeastern winters.  That's the primary driving factor, but some people also appreciate the generally lower taxes which exist in many Sun Belt states.  So, to that extent, people are driven a bit by liberal policies which keep state taxes relatively high compared to warmer weather states.  But few people are leaving solely, or even primarily, for taxes.  It's more about the weather.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

To get away from llewren bitchin about how bad his state is.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

They do this in order to turn the other states blue.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Absolutely it's unbelievable how the property value is sky rocketing with these newcomers paying premium

• ennui
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Texas and NC are cheaper to live in. I've lived in both, and CA. I live next to NY. I can attest to the fact that cheaper is not always better, but whatever floats yer boat....

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Last time I checked they were still the two most populous states. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.