Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

WD 1TB HDD?

I am scanning my WD 1TB System Drive, a lot of HDD blocks are measuring the access time of <150MS and there are quite a few measuring <500MS. I am not sure what to do with this HDD, shall I replace it now or is it still healthy?

Update:

I am using Crystal Disk Info, however I have had two HDD fail in very close proximity, SMART wasn’t very useful then.

Update 2:

I have everything backed up to a NAS, then to my USB stick and then to my working external SSD. It has 2 red blocks measuring over > 500MS now.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    2 months ago

why not get an SSD? then you don't need to worry about blocks and speed, as access times improve exponentially!

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Hard block access times are not a reliable way of measuring disk failures. The best solution is to have regular backups

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What software are you using? Try Crystal disk Mark. It can tell you how much of your hard disk is damaged so you can make a better decision on whether to replace it already or not.

• Dick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depends on what the "block" consists of as far as file format, etc. are, and the size.  Not all files open at the same rate.  It's the same with any file it all depends upon what you've got your machine running/doing at the time you try to open the file(s).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, Replace it now while you can still get your files off of it.

Replace it with a Solid State Hard Drive (SSD).  Then you won't have those issues.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.