Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStandards & Testing · 2 months ago

How do I stop obsessing over a small mistake?

Last semester, I took Gen Chem 1, and I didn't do that great. My highest exam score was a 76 and I ended the class with a C+. Now, I am in Gen Chem 2, and even though the semester just started I think I am understanding the material more than I did last semester. We had our first exam last weekend and I studied so much leading up to it that I kinda neglected my other classes. My test comes around and I got an 86 which is good and higher than any chem exam score that I had gotten since starting college. But when they finally opened the exam this week for us to see what we missed, I noticed that one of the answers I got wrong was an incredibly easy question but I had just forgot to put a negative sign on my answer. It was a careless mistake on my part as I didn't even look back at that question because I was so confident in my answer. The worst part is though that that question was worth 4 points! Meaning if I had just checked my answer before submitting I would have gotten a 90 on the exam (an A) which would have been the first A I had ever gotten in a college chem course. I know this is such a trivial thing to be upset over but I cant help but think about it all the time. I put in so much work to study for this exam and it would have been so fulfilling to be able to see that I managed to get an A on the exam, especially because the class average was much lower (in the 70s). I am just so disappointed in myself and my carelessness and I dont know how to make it stop bugging me 

• drip

Simple. Don’t do it again. Be conscious during an exam to check the question and your answer. 

Don’t repeat your mistake.And you should be able to study for a hard exam without neglecting your other classes. 

That is the way college works.  You understand the previous course when you are confused on the current one.  Don't worry.  Once you are in graduate school, it runs out of new stuff, and all of the old stuff seems easy.  When you get to the doctorate level, you realize that you don't know anything and it should be obvious to everyone.   Just keep going.  You have no other option than to try as hard as you can and do the best you can do.