Skippy asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

Why can't rats get water in their ears?? ?

HI! I just found out my 23 rats are INFESTED! I think by the mama rat that I got by the pet store because she's the WORST And shes HAIRLESS!! And her ears and behind her eyes and nose is INFESTED With MITES!! I am bathing all my babies but I bought some MITE DROPS that are for DOGS! And i KNOW!! Rats can NOT have WATER IN THEIR EARS i have had rats for over 6 years and i have no information as to WHY! Please answer my if I can put mite drops in her ears will it hurt her? I'm pretty sure they're eating her SKULL OUT!! So how can mite drops hurt her anymore than the tiny little critters eating her from the inside out?! SHES PRETTY MUCH BLIND!! (The babies are much more healthy due to the envrionemt...) 

thank you.. thank you.. THANK YOU!! FOR any TRUE information you give me on this THANK YOU! 

thanks - angel / skippy 

Same reason humans avoid getting water in the ears.  It can lead to infection if they aren't able to get it all out.

I have always used mineral oil to treat ear mites.  It has always worked well.  It smothers the mites so they die; and it is soothing to the sufferer.  I suppose most any oil would work, such as cooking oil.

I have never heard of mites in the eyes or ears.  I am not sure what this is, but I'm not sure you can use mineral oil for it.  I would get some flea powder for cats and apply a tiny bit.  I have used this on wild rodents I have caught, to treat mites or whatever skin parasites they have.  Just a tiny bit always did the job. Every species seems to have its own kind of parasites, and if you catch wild animals, they have them.  

Good luck, 

• Raven

You don't need to bathe them at all. The mite medicine will kill all the mites. You need to clean their cages too, but even if you don't, if you keep putting the mite medicine on every rat monthly for several months consistently, you will eliminate all the mites.