Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 2 months ago

Can I afford living in London just on 22k a year?

I’m from Birmingham and there’s a job in London I really want to apply for but would I be able to afford it on 22k a year?

• F

Not if you want your own place. A small room in a grotty house with a commute maybe. 

Some people actual commute from further away than Birmingham.

I did my four years of university in London on approx £11,000 - £12,000, and I was better off than a lot of my friends. You will have to live in shared accommodation (rent is going to be between £600 and £800 a month, and remember to look at bills - I always chose places I was only paying £50 a month), and possibly in a not-so desirable borough, but it can definitely be done. 

• Maxi

Potentially you could if you are prepared to travel from outside central London and can find an HMO, so one room in a shared house/flat

Many people do, but it will be tight. That is fractionally above the London Living Wage, depending on the number of hours worked. Expect half of it to go on rent, and then the rest for travel food and bills eg Council Tax, should just about be OK if you stay out of pubs.

You could - but you'd have to house-share with others, and you might have to live a fair way outside the centre. 

• Tavy

Look at rents and areas then decide.

If you flat share with others then you will have a little bit of money left over each year. That's £1500 after tax each month. If rent is £700 and bills are £200. You'll still have £600 left over but that's before travel costs, food and leisure

Probably not as the average rent exceeds £1500 per month. Maybe you should consider commuting a short distance? Look on letting agent's websites for accommodation in the suburbs.