Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 2 weeks ago

Should white artists be allowed to depict people of colour?

Given the history of racist caricatures of people of colour found in Western art.  

• John
    1 week ago

it's not really a question of being "allowed" to.    It's not illegal but it is considered to be in bad taste.

When there are black artists anyway why the F would a white person try and look black ?

Look at it in reverse.  Would it be in bad taste if a black person (very dark skinned) took the role of Abraham Lincoln in a movie for instance ?    Yes because it's putting over a lie. 

• ?
    1 week ago

Here in UK they would get death threats 

YES, it's not a hard question to answer yourself

Source(s): Common sense
  • F

I assume you mean “blacking up”. This is deemed deeply racist and offensive these days but bit long ago (70s) , we had shows like the black and white minstrel show on peak TV.

To my mind, being an actor is pretending to be someone else. We don’t demand the actor has medical qualifications to play a doctor. So pretending to be another race, I can’t see why it would be racist, but it currently is. 

Mixed race. Still a no no. Only a black person can play it . Not logical at all.

So you're saying people should have rights based on their race? 

You are an example of why America has become a banana republic sh!thole. 

How would you be able to tell if the artist is white?

Will the colour police kick down the door with a paint chart?

• John

I'm an artist and you do NOT get to tell me what I can or cannot do. We are finished here.

No. Absolutely not. When black people get successful enough to ran their own rice factories they can make a uncle ben logo, until then it is completely derogatory for white people.

Source(s): Feminist, mother, anti-racist, christian, round-earther, fart-artist and trump supporter.
  • Ludwig

No.  Not in America, which is the only nation where there are 'people of colour'.  Whacky term for a whacky land and its whacky people.

Given the fact an artist can chose NOT to depict someone in a racist fashion,  what does it matter who the artist is?