Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

why am able to convert & download youtube videos onto my computer, but when i burn them to DVD, the discs will not play them?

i am using Freemake video downloader and have had problems after i have downloaded and converted them onto mp4 files on my computer, but when i burn them onto dvd, after it is finished, i put them in the dvd player and the dvd player says it cannot play it. however i am able to play the videos and watch them on my computer, but for some reason i am having problems having them properly burned to dvd

Favorite Answer

Well it depends on how the DVD was finalized on your computer.  In most DVD burning options, usually there is a finalize option for finishing the burning process.

There might have been an option that said finalize to play in most DVD players and then something that might have said (note, not all DVD's work in all DVD players) I've seen that message come up before.

You said you've tried to play the DVD in the DVD player.  Have you tried playing the DVD in the DVD-ROM drive on your computer?  If the DVD works on the computer, but not on an actual DVD player,  then it could be the way the disc was finalized when the burning process was complete, or it could even be the type of DVD.  There are some DVD's that act different ways on DVD players.

OK, I sincerely hope you aren't just dragging and dropping MP4 files on to a DVD, and then popping the DVD with the MP4 files into a DVD player.  That will not work.  The DVD needs to be authored as a video disk, or a DVD player won't play video using that disk.  

You can certainly use a DVD to store video files, and that is a very common use for DVD.  However, you can't just pop some random video files into a DVD player and expect the DVD player to play video.