Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Jim2
Jim2 asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 3 months ago

Do space lasers powerful enough to start a fire on earth even exist? wouldn't they have to be extremely powerful, not to mention expensive?

From what I gather, a laser beam loses a great deal of energy going through the atmosphere, and through divergence. 

Great point about lack of evidence for a conventional arsonist as compared to the evidence of a space laser capable of this, which I assume would have to have gigantic solar power supply.

Actually I usually post on the politics section, where conspiracy theories and gullibility are to be found in great abundance. Did not see any TV pertaining to this, but very interested in debunking this lie as thoroughly as possible.

Favorite Answer

no they do not exist, yet another strange conspiracy theory.

and not practical even if possible. A lot cheaper to send in someone with a match. and that is much harder to prove, no evidence. Whereas "space lasers" would be there for anyone to see.

Been watching a specific TV show?  I had it on in the background and wasn't watching closely - but didn't they debunk this 'theory'?

I can start a fire on earth with a magnifying glass.    Doesn't take much.      You can melt rock with a bag of water