Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 2 months ago

If I get a giant ship built for myself and live out at sea will I be exempt from paying taxes to any government?

also the term 'law of the land' will stop applying to me - as I am on no land so to speak.

secondly, nobody 'owns' the worlds waters (oceans and seas) either.

is there a law that says a normal citizen cannot move around freely in the oceans in their own ship ?

and if so, can they choose to not be a citizen of any nation but simply a sea dweller?

• Robert
    Favorite Answer

You can do it if you stay out of territorial waters.  Then of course you have to figure out how to get supplies which will come form some country or another and will have a tax applied to them when you buy them.  So...you can live at sea but you'll still pay a tax of one kind or another. 

In open ocean waters, the laws of Admiralty apply.  Virtually all nations subscribe to those laws.  Do  Y! search with the term "Laws of Admiralty."  You can do what you suggest in your question.

eventually you will need to make port for food or ship repair . then they got you .