Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

German Grammar?

Hi, I am wondeting if someone can explain in German why some words have a both a normal noun as well as an adjectival noun.

An example here may be:

Der Fremde

Der Fremdling

What is the difference here, and when would one be preferred over the other? 

I think for most cases, there will likely only be either an adjectival noun or a normal noun that is preferred, but I could be wrong. 

Another interesting one I have come across is Der Beamte,i understand this is an adjectival noun, but for the femanine version you can have:

Die Beamtin (normal noun) and die Beamte (adjectival noun). think the former is preferred. 

For me, I don't really see cival servant/clerk as an adjective as you can't have beamt as a stem for an adjective I don't think. I think there may well be some more surprising ones. 

I completely understand what adjectival nouns are and how they are formed, I suppose for me the rich man/the poor man are great examples where you don't need an adjective with the correct ending followed by the noun (you just need the adjective with a capital letter followed by the correct ending.. E. G. Der Reiche / der Arme) 

Any advice would be great (comments on my examples would be great too). 

Thanks

"Der Fremde" and "Der Fremdling" is not common in speaking. "Der Fremde" will be used in stories and "Der Fremdling" more in poems - it is old fashioned anyway; nobody use that on the street.

Die Beamtin (normal noun/female) and die Beamte (adjectival noun/neuter...generic term for all cival servants).

I suggest to read a lot of books and sign up to www.mylanguageexchange.com - you teach your language to someone and the other teach you their language.