Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

is my friend wrong or me ?

i am a guy with a female friend, we have been friends for many years, she is a vegan and i am not, lately she has been giving me quite a bit of attitude that i drink a can or 2 of soda a day, i only drink 1 or 2 and i know its not good for you but i plan to switch to coffee gradually as i get older, i am not over weight, no diabetes, i have lots of energy and i take pretty good care of myself, im a young, fairly athletic guy and i work in a factory, she literally freaks out everytime i open a soda and she thinks i am like destroying my health, now keep in mind i dont drink alcohol, smoke or do drugs, i just enjoy a soda or 2 a day that is all, i avoid most other sweets like pastries and candy tho, yeah i know soda is not good for you and i wont be drinking it forever, but is she right to threaten to end our friendship if i dont quit ? which one of us is right ? also my mom smoked the whole time i was growing up which is terrible, she had a fight with my dad about it once and i had to tell him " look i dont like her smoking either but the thing is you picked a smoker! you knew it when you married her, so either end the marriage or learn to accept it, simple as that "

but yeah what do yall think?

Favorite Answer

I don't think this is a matter of you are right and she is wrong.  This is a matter of individual rights.  You and your friend have been friends for years.  You know each other inside out.  She's a vegan and you aren't.  She knows that.  You don't force her to eat meat.  She wants you to knock off drinking soda.  I think she should mind her own business.  Is she going to start on you wearing leather shoes next?  Just be firm with her.  Tell her she is encroaching on your civil rights and you will change when YOU choose to change...NOT because SHE wants you to.  You don't like her bullying attitude and if she carries on you will have to start bullying her back and try to get her to eat something she doesn't choose to eat. You would then being as unfair to her as she's being to you.  OK she's coming from a position of concern for your health - but you sound pretty fit to me.  You aren't drinking gallons of the stuff - so she should mind her own business and not try to change you.  If you aren't a satisfactory friend as you are.....then perhaps she should find another friend who is more perfect. 

• Foofa

It's wise to plan to ditch this habit as she's not wrong that it's going to catch up with you eventually. However, nothing's more annoying than a food scold. So maybe just don't drink soda in front of her and try to keep the conversations away from food and health. 

Most Social Justice Warriors think everyone should live like they do, whether its being a vegan, adopting man made global warming as your new religion, or being an anti-smoker. When you don't "buy into it" some become militant. Ive had to part ways with a few people over the years because of it, and I didn't want to get locked up for knocking their teeth out. So yeah, your friend is wrong...she may be correct in "theory", but a grown man doesnt need to be preached to about what he chooses to drink.

• tim

Shes overstepping her bounds, how can she threaten you to end your friendship with her just for drinking a flipping soda?. Sounds manipulative and controlling, she has to realize that she cannot impose her dietary restriction on others.  

• T J

Id dump her. I do not need anyone telling me what I should eat and drink, let he r keep it to herself, she said it once and that was enough. More than that, Id beat her head in.

She’s just trying to look out for you. That 1 or 2 soda a day may not seem like much but it accumulates over time. Try switching to sparkling water. You get almost the same taste as a soda but none of the sugar. 

Even if your friend were right about soda, the way she is approaching the issue is counter-productive.  It's not her business.

Friends respect each other. Friends don't tell each other what do do. Friends don't make out they are better than you. My favourite definition of a friend is "Some who knows all about you but likes you anyway". Whatever this person is, they don't seem to be much of a friend.