Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

If I’m 18 and find a 17 year old attractive, should I seek help?

I know pedophilia (attraction to minors) is something you can get help for, but do I need to seek help if the girl I’m attracted to is only a year younger than me? My therapist (who I see for anxiety) thinks it’s fine, and refused to treat me for pedophilia when I told her, but should I get an opinion from a second professional?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

No it’s chill, the issue of pedophilia would arise if the girl you like was 7 and not 17.... 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

one yr, no big deal............

• T J
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is fine, go see if she will date you. Enjoy your life, get out of your therapists office.

• 2 months ago

Not very long ago a minor was someone under the age of 21 but the age of consent was 16.  We keep tinkering with ages and rules but medically pedophilia is a sexual interest in a prepubescent child which this is not.  Help could not and should not be involved.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Continue on, but understand that sex with her is a crime.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Pedophilia doesn't mean attraction to minors. It means attraction to pre-pubescent children. Attraction to adolescents is normal and natural human behaviour. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

LOL no, I promise you there is nothing wrong with you.  I don’t know why some people exaggerate the whole turning 18 thing and then get themselves all sick and worried.  Yes, it is illegal to be with someone who is say 14, but finding a 17 year old attractive is completely NORMAL.  Dating and even having sex is also NORMAL and LEGAL.  It could literally be a few months difference or a year.  Either way, you’re perfectly fine so don’t stress.  17 and 18 year is actually quite a common age to date each other because both are usually in the same year at school.  

• Embery
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Pedophilia is neither attraction to minors nor can it be "Helped."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.