Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

Is it a bad idea to give a pacifier to a baby?

• Rita

Pacifier use might increase the risk of middle ear infections. However, rates of middle ear infections are generally lowest from birth to age 6 months — when the risk of SIDS is the highest and your baby might be most interested in a pacifier. Prolonged pacifier use might lead to dental problems.

It's a terrible idea! 

Have you ever thought to just tell them to shut up?

Yup. They don't need it and it is going to be hll on wheels when it comes time for them to give it up. Neither of my boys were allowed one when they were babies and they made out just fine. 

• LizB

It's not a *bad* idea per say, but we chose not to. My kids are going to inherit orthodontic issues as it is, so I didn't want them to develop a potential pacifier habit that could make it worse. Some babies have a strong need to suck on things, though, and for those babies a pacifier can be very soothing. My opinion is to just not introduce pacifiers if you can avoid it, but if you feel like your baby has a strong need to suck, then give it a try and see if it helps.

One of our girls liked them, and one spit them out. No big deal either way.

babies love the pacifier. 

• ?

It's called a PACIFIER...it "pacifies" them...