Do liars convince themselves what they are saying is truth? Or do they know they’re lying?

My husband and I got into an argument. I had my phone in one hand and my keys in the other. He came over and put his hands on me and was going to fight me. I told him to let go of me before I called the police. He said, “call the police, call the police!” And so I started dialing and he let go of me. Later on, when we discussed what happened he made an outrageous story that I hit him in the head with a plate, and that he never had his hands on me. And when he told me this story it sounded like he genuinely believed this happened. Like he said, “I would never put my hands on you. That is not my character.” He sounded like he thought he was telling the truth. Almost got me double thinking what really happened like, “am I the one whose off”. But I know what happened. I know the truth. And he really genuinely seems like he believes he never did that. This type of stuff happened when we were dating also. Where I would start to record our phone conversations because he said, “I never said that. That’s not even my character” and then I would show him the recording. So is he lying straight to my face, or does he genuinely believe in his lie. Can someone tell me please. Is he like blacking out and don’t remember?

Favorite Answer

What you are describing is attempted "gaslighting."  It's entire point is to get you to doubt yourself and let them do whatever they want.

It's pathological, whether or not the liar believes their lie.

You need to actually record the events so they can't be denied later, and take the recordings and the liar to counseling.

YES.

• Foofa

Soooo, you're in a volatile and potentially dangerous relationship and your biggest concern is the psychology of your abuser. Priorities, am I right.

i think they know theyre lying

You married this guy?!?   He remembers.   He is trying to warp reality so that you begin to doubt yourself.  This is classic.   Ditch him now;  IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE.     Warning.  

Assuming everything you are saying is correct. Yes, he is lying & he knows it. Having said that, why did you move forward with a Man of his character. And please don't tell me "it was because you loved him."