Anonymous

Did she mean to be racist?

So a person whom i see everyday starts bad mouthing Whites in front of me . I turn and look at her just wondering why she'd say anything negative since she's clearly mixed race . She then puts her arm on my shoulder and says sorry . Why the **** even attempt apology ?

And my dad is multi ethnic and my moms family is white and native .

• Craig

You know, sometimes we grow up hearing people around us talk a certain way about certain folks all the time...and we get accustomed to it, and we learn to talk that way too.  It's not that we ever put much thought into it - we just imitate our elders and our playmates, and we try to fit in.

And then one day, when we're in the middle of saying something, we realize that maybe there's somebody in earshot who's maybe kin to those very folks we're in the process of declaiming...and it suddenly comes to us that they might feel hurt by this ordinary, everyday language we've never really thought about before.

This is just one of those challenges that happens in a society where a whole bunch of cultures mix together.  It's tricky, and it's easy to hurt each other.  Stuff like this doesn't prove hostility or inherent incompatibility.  It's more like getting your toes accidentally stepped on in a crowded elevator by somebody whose mind is elsewhere.

• Matt

even people who think racism is wrong think it's ok to be racist towards white people, it's a kind of fvcked up reverse discrimination thing