Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 month ago

How much worse was the swine flu epidemic of 2009 than the COVID pandemic?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

It wasn't worse but it did affect young people. There have already been over 30 times as many deaths in the US alone from Covid.

• 1 month ago

Good question Anon... I do believe that the 2009 flu pandemic was the second pandemic the world had seen, the first one being the 1918 Spanish flu. That one is, still the most deadly pandemic in human history.

The 2009 pandemic was caused by a new virus strain that came from Mexico in the spring of 2009, then, it spread like WILDFIRE to the rest of the world. As cases rose, in June of that year the flue was declared a pandemic.

In the U.S alone, between April 2009 and April 2010, the there were 60.8 million cases of swine flu, with over 274,000 hospitalizations and nearly 12,500 deaths, that's a mortality rate of about 0.02%. Now here comes the BIG DIFFERANCE...

The mortality rate for coronavirus is much higher, so far this now stands at around 2% and this number will likely change as more people are tested. That may not sound like a big difference but, over time this can mean millions more deaths.

Have I answered the question Stanley? YOU SURE HAVE. :-)

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't remember the swine flu being so bad that we had to enforce lockdowns, social distancing and face masks.

• 1 month ago

The very worst was Black Plague.

Even the Spanish Flu of 1918-'19 makes Covid look small. I lost 3 uncles on my Grandma's family from it.

Swine flu is a fading memory, like Legionnaire's disease.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

With the 'Rona, only 98% of us would have survived without the Orwellian government response!  

• 1 month ago

Not even close !

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Swine flu was a drop in a bucket compared to covid. Google it if you want stats. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It was so much worse. Thank goodness the Covid is so benign.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.