Can values from a thumbprint scanner be read in plaintext?

Hey guys, basically for my final year project at university I want to be able to take the values of a thumbprint scan and use them to create a universal password input that is hashed into a different password output based on a websites IP. Problem is, from what I can see there isn't a thumbprint scanner out there that you can "grab" the value of a person's thumbprint scan from. There is usually just an assigned profile to a thumbprint, and then the computer does the rest. Is it possible to find the code that associates a user's thumbprint to a value? If so, what product would be best to do this with? Or am I just wasting my time? I realise this is pretty niche, but I'd heavily appreciate any kind of advice. Thank you :)

I doubt it. 

The data is likely binary.  You could open the data as text with something that treats each byte as one of 256 characters, and displays a distinct graphic for each value. But, the result would as meaningful as if each byte was represented as two hexadecimal digits. So, why not treat the data as binary in the first place?

If you want access to already stored thumbprints, the problem you face is getting around security. Thumbprint scanners are used to be sure the owner of the thumb really is the person who  is authorized to access something. For that reason, it's not likely you can easily get the stored thumbprint data for various users. That would be a hacker's dream.

(I use "hacker" with the negative meaning.)

Your best bet is to buy a thumbprint scanner that allows you to write your own software for it.