hi i'm trying to write a book and I need some help on what a school bell sounds like?

my sentence is the school bell rung through the halls like...

its for a school assignment thing thanx for any one who can help :)

• Marli
    Favorite Answer

My school bell rang with a trilling sound, like a telephone bell, but much louder and longer.  Most school bell ring like that.  The fire bell clanged. That's how it sounded: Clang! CLANG! RAPID Clangs! I had to bite down to keep from screaming and running the first time I heard it; but like a good Grade 1er, I stood beside my desk while each line got their coats and filed outside.  We had a handbell in the library from one of the first school buildings. Brass with a wooden handle. As wide as a dessert plate and fully operational for something 100 years old. Our school library was also the public library, so the librarian rang it in the evening before closing. If the electric bell didn't work, a teacher walked around the school swinging it. It also clanged, but much softer than the fire bell.  Then there was the bell in the tower of our sister school in town. It rang only on Remembrance Day. It was too old to ring at other times, and dangerous if one was not taught how to ring it. The nearest neighbors probably would have complained if it was rung more often. I head it toll once, when our schools celebrated the November 11 armistice together. Five deep bongs at the eleventh hour, while we stood in silence in the schoolyard. It was a very solemn experience. The school had the same electric bell other schools used. A pity when that school was torn down, but I still have the memory. Thanks for bringing it back to my conscious mind.

• F

Ding dong! Next.....

There are all kinds of different school bells. There is no single sound for all of them.

However the sentence should say, "The bell RANG", not 'rung'.

The bell rings every day.

The bell rang yesterday as usual.

The bell has rung every day for five years.

My school didn't have a real bell. It was a recording played through loud speakers.

Just add an adjective......nosy, clanking, sputtering, chattering is a good one, screaming, hip hop, banging, and it describe the tone for we all know what that darn ringing bell sounds like......     

• Zac Z

I have to agree with Lili.

If you have to write this for an assignment and can't come up with a simile maybe just leave it away?

Just write: "The school bell rung through the halls."

I mean, you write this for a SCHOOL assignment so everybody will be familiar with how a school bell sounds.

I don't know whether there's a particular reason you want to have a simile there but I'd say the simple sentence without simile does the trick and is preferable to one with a bad simile.

• joedlh

You don't have to describe what the school bell sounds like. Everybody knows what it sounds like. If it's a key moment in your narrative, what you need to do is write about how your characters reacted to it. Did it break an emotionally laden moment? If it wasn't an emotionally-laden moment, then why are you writing about it?

Real writers don't ask other people to write for them. If you can't come up with the right simile or metaphor, you are not ready to write a book.

Put your mind to it.