Anonymous

If you hear your spouse verbally abusing your child, how do you handle it?

My husband doesn't always think before saying things, so he ends up saying some pretty awful stuff.

I usually just tell him to shut up and go sit down. I just hope my son won't remember any the sh*tty things his sh*tty dad says to to him. I guess divorce is the next step if he can't get his sh*tty self together. 

I have came very close to knocking him on his butt for his behavior. Heck, my parents have heard him talk awful to him. His own mom knows how he is.

I better add my son is toddler age.

My husband will get my respect when he changes how he treats our children. 

Favorite Answer

You should kick your husband in his testicles. 

For one I'd never leave my child with him to babysit. He probably can really fly off the handle. He needs counselling for help with his anger problem. 

I have a friend who's 4 year old grandson screams "Shut Up" to her when she babysits and is insulting and demanding. Kids learn what they are taught. It's pretty heartbreaking. That sort of thing doesn't stay a secret! 

I grew up in an abusive home.  I married, had a child.  When my child was three my husband became verbally abusive and called OUR son "stupid."  You refer to YOUR son.  Is your husband the father or not?  After my son was called "stupid" I contacted a family law attorney and divorced my husband.  You put up with this abuse, his parents put up with this abuse, and nothing happens?  You are ALL enabling this abuse of a child to continue.  This makes me sick.  (Don't you have any self respect?  Is that why you put up with this behavior?)

• ?

You gave no examples, and you didn't give your child's age. But if he/she is old enough to be scolded, I'll bet he/she will also remember it. Its your job as a parent to protect your child as your topmost priority, and that includes protecting him/her from your husband, if he is abusing him/her.  Since this is an apparent pattern, repetitive, whatever you have been doing about it hasn't been working.  Either you go to marriage counseling and inform your abusive hubby that either this will stop, immediately, or you and your child will be gone for good; or, you just plain go. Either way, it will at least get his attention!

Good luck, now go do your job as a parent.  

• T C

I hope your son doesn’t remember how you disrespected your husband.

NEVER (and this goes for both of you) reprove or disrespect one and other in front of your children….that should always be done behind closed doors.

You are shifting the blame to him …when most likely you are the cause. I am not debating what he says is good or correct…. but this circle started somewhere and you keep exacerbating it…..meanwhile your husband is trying to stand his ground saying stupid things not realizing he’s keeping this circle going….

Both of you need to get your $hit together. You are both equally at fault…and your son is going to be the one that suffers…. if you continue how your acting or get a divorce. ….

So stop! Right now ….do your part, you are the one person who can change yourself. 

Your dominance in this relationship has to change. And maybe you think he’s not much of a man …but that is not the way this marriage started out.

**A man needs respect … that is what love is to him. If he is being disrespected, he will subconsciously act in ways that will be detrimental….just as he is doing.

I don’t say this often, but if the both of you can’t figure this out and work together…. Seek some counseling …

• T J

Maybe you need to rethink about your son and how you are raising him. There is a reason his father yells at him. But im sure you do not see it. Your husband will get sick of you and your snowflake son and move out.