My son wrote an original story for his homework for school. How do I prevent others from claiming its theirs?

My son wrote a fable as part of his school project. I've searched online if there's a similar story. So far, there's none. If we turn it in to the teacher, could someone claim that the story is theirs since the story is not published. If someone does try to copy claim it as their own, then is there a way we can show prove that my son was the first to come up with the story. 

• Tina
    Favorite Answer

You should allow your son to take responsibility for his own school work for a start.

In the extraordinarily unlikely event of someone else claiming his work you can surely point to the date he wrote it on his computer/phone.

How can anyone "claim the story is theirs" when the only people reading it are the teacher, you and your son?

Your son automatically owns the copyright to anything he writes. He doesn't even have to register it.

I'm not sure why you are worried.  How would someone else claim it's his without even having seen it?  How would he be able to prove it?  He'd have to have some form of proof that he wrote the story before your son turned it in to the teacher. What do you imagine that proof would be?

I think you're being rather paranoid about a simple school assignment and also sort of micromanaging the process.  Just let your son handle his homework, unless he needs special help with it.

• Rick B

I'm pretty sure that you are safe.  I doubt that anyone is going to try to steal your son's story.