Why is trauma a thing?

I casually encounter so many people who have it, and I see and hear it get talked about frequently both online and in-person. I have utmost sympathy for them, yet, I continue to find it completely incomprehensible. Even when I try talking to them myself and listening to them about their experiences and feelings.

What I find impossible to understand about it is basically, trauma is rooted in negative events from the past. If I understand correctly, in most cases, said negative events are no longer actively occurring nor directly affecting the person. And to me, since that is the case, the idea of being emotionally detrimented by said events just flat-out does not compute with me. In my experiences, when things occur that make me unhappy, I only remain unhappy about them during the time that they are actively occurring and directly affecting me. As soon as they cease to actively occur and directly affect me, I go back to being happy very shortly afterwards.

Can someone please explain to me why this is not the case for seemingly so many people? It genuinely baffles me endlessly.

I don't think you would have this attitude if you had have had some serious trauma in your life.  Count yourself lucky.  If you had of been raped & tortured, you couldn't let it so that easy.  Count your blessing & have mercy on those who have had serious traumas in their lives.  Incest lasts a while, physical abuse is hard to bounce back from.

I believe it is tied to our survival instinct 

• Liz

Trauma is an emotional response to a terrible event like an accident, rape or natural disaster. Immediately after the event, shock and denial are typical. Longer term reactions include unpredictable emotions, flashbacks, strained relationships and even physical symptoms like headaches or nausea.

If you ever have a life changing/altering event in your life, you'll understand trauma. Just daily living is traumatic enough. LOL

Post-traumatic stress disorder is a very serious illness that afflicts people who have experienced life-threatening events such as combat and violent crime. Those things are real traumas. The word "trauma" is popularly used for any unpleasant thing. Self-diagnosis by people who are clueless about mental illness is very common. 

if i found myself thinking like this (and perhaps it really happened to me), i would try to understand which trauma led me to avoid metabolizing other traumas. it sounds like a joke but it's not. i don't want to give macroscopic examples of traumas that don't cease to influence those who have suffered them, i leave it to you as food for thought.