Cody asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Is 26 too old to be living with parents?

Hello. I am a 26 year old man living with my parents. I have my own car, small income (a little over 1k a month) and so on...but I feel like a man child. All of my friends have moved out and started their own life and I’m still at home waiting for my mom to bring me home dinner and so on. Is it time to fly? (Remember the context of the question is I’m 26)

If you are uncomfortable with your safety net, then it's time to fly. If you find that you are trying to date/socialize with people who think you too immature or experienced because you live with your folks and are hooked on Momma's dinner? Might be time to fly.  If your parents want you out of the house, it's time to fly. The only "rules" about this have to do with your own goals and plans in life and how your folks feel about your prolonged  childhood. 

• Foofa

With the economy as it is and housing prices as they are in a lot of places it's not unusual to find someone your age still living at home. But you clearly should be working on a way to earn enough to someday be self supporting, which isn't going to happen on a thousand a month. The least you could be doing is stepping up to help. Maybe once in a while you need to be the one to provide dinner to your parents. 

I'm 28 and still living with my parents. I may not have a car and have a much less income that but there's is absolutely nothing wrong with living with your parents at any age, as long both you and your parents are happy for you to live there.

Just because your friends have moved out and living their their lives, doesn't mean you have to follow suit. Everyone 's lives moves at different speeds. 

i dont think so

• Carmen

Hello concerned one age isn’t anything but a number it’s what you do in life that matters according to your circumstances and capability especially if your parents are ok with it. Do t be a follower be a leader everyone situation is different don’t compare yours to your friends. If you are independent enough to be on your own do be it or financially stable if not stay home. It’s not always peaches and cream out in the real world or easy. Stay respectful and honor and appreciate your parents while you can and contour your blessings. 

It's past time to fly, obviously. What makes it obvious is that you're asking, and that you feel like a manchild.

If you were 19, then that would be too old to be living with parents...

• If you have money saved up, then yes, if you wish, go get your own place. There's no shame, however, in living with your parents to have an advantage in life. Read the Bible. Isaac, for instance, was 40 years old and still living with his father. In fact, for most of human history, families would stay close together in that manner, and the reason is obvious for why (there's benefits). I myself am trying to finish college. When I do and I land a solid job, I will be moving out. I just turned 24 a few months ago. I have about 30k to my name, technically, give or take, so I would move if I want, but I'd rather keep my financial advantage until I'm ready to sail and not have to struggle doing so. Just relax and take the free ride your loving parents give you until you're ready.  

🥴😊

Darling... Im close to 40 and would be still living with my parents had they not died recently. 

So... its upto you. Kids who want to be independent usually dont have a good relationship with their parents or they want freedom and to play hookie. Sow their peasant oats. That sorta thing.

• Petter

Unless your parents throw you out, you yourself will have to decide when it's time to fly.