Forgiveness......?

I want to know how do I know if I forgave that person. I get so confused about have I really forgave people who did me wrong. 

For example....

I’ll say I forgive them, and wish them nothing but the best but the events flashbacks of doings and sayings to me kept repeating in my head constantly band at the same time I still wish the people who did me wrong nothing but the best and pray for them. 

I just don’t know...

No rude comments nor sarcasm!!!. God bless you all :)

I think if you can wish the best for the person who offended you, you have successfully forgiven him.  Keep one hand on your wallet, though.

• Snow

That is part of human imperfection. But there are two pieces of good news that can help. One: When we repent from a sin we have committed, God forgives us and puts the sin behind us and doesn’t think about it again. 

Jeremiah 31:34 says “And they will no longer teach each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know Jehovah!’ for they will all know me, from the least to the greatest of them,”declares Jehovah. “For I will forgive their error, and I will no longer remember their sin.”

Two: We can follow God’s example to forget what people have done against us. It isn’t easy, and God knows that. But He gives us practical advice through the Bible to do our best. Try focusing on their good qualities. Like we should do with everyone. And you can always pray. Whenever you have a memory of the transgression pop in your mind say a quick prayer to ask God to help you forget it. 

Linked below is a great article about what to do if someone hurts or offends us. I really enjoyed it. I am sure you will find it helpful as well. 

• Paul

Sounds like you are on the right track. Obviously we cannot literally forget the ways people hurt us. We simply don't let those memories determine how we relate to those people. We realize that they are beloved children of God just as we are, and treat them as God would want us to treat them.

I think what you are experiencing is human nature. It's really good that you pray about it. Here's an article that discusses forgiveness in detail based on the Bible. https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/wh...

When you forgive somebody, you do it - not by feelings, but by an act of your will.

So you stand before God, ask Him to help you to forgive so-and-so and then say "Lord I will" and put your right foot firmly on the ground and say, "As an act of my will, I forgive so-and-so",

After that, no matter how many times it comes into your head, you say, "Get behind me Devil, in the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth who died for me and for so-and-so, I have forgiven so-and-so, and just as God said He will never remember my sins anymore but has put them in the deepest sea of His forgetfulness, I COMMIT to NEVER remembering so-and-so's sin against me ever again."  

Then thank God for helping you to forgive that person.  NEVER mention the matter ever again - not to yourself, nor to anyone else.  Always do what God said and "Cast DOWN evil imaginations and arguments, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and BRING EVERY THOUGHT INTO CAPTIVITY TO THE OBEDIENCE OF JESUS CHRIST" (2 Corinthians 10: 3-6) because our weapons of warfare are not carnal but mighty THROUGH GOD, to the pulling DOWN of those strongholds.

If you do it the biblical way, you cannot fail.  Jesus even told us to PRAY FOR THOSE WHO SPITEFULLY USE US ETC.  (Read Matthew 5:44) and then you can pray for the person. 

In the meantime, Just rebuke it every time it comes into your head trying to rear its ugly head against your act of forgiveness and THANK THE LORD FOR THE ABILITY HE GAVE YOU TO FORGIVE SO-AND-SO.  Then you cannot fail.

• Is this the second question you have repeated in the space of a month?

When you pray to God, you are not confused, when you do NOT pray to God, you are in total confusion?

If someone acts in evil, there is God to intervene, if the believer prays to God for his problems, God will be his defense. Also, don't be ridiculous with those supposed blessings, because the real blessings come down from Heaven its true Christian Believers.

Romans 12:18-19.

18 If possible, as far as this depends on you, live in peace with everyone. 19 Do not take justice upon yourselves, beloved, but leave it to the Divine wrath. For it is written: To me the vengeance, it is I who will repay, says the Lord. 

• Carmen

Yeah, I get the same thing. I'll suddenly start reliving moments from years ago, even 20 years ago (and I was 8 then) and it just brings back all those feelings. I think it's an associative thing. That is, I have a similar feeling, and start reliving some old moment in my mind. 

But reliving those moments gives me a chance to work through them from a distance, and put things in perspective. Anyway, I don't really know what your looking for, but good luck. 

• Clyde

We must forgive every one who has wronged us and then this is remembered on the day we go to the purely gates, did you forgive every one he would ask us? Is their one who did you not forgive 

• BJ

God assures us that once he forgives, he will never in the future act against us because of those sins.

He does not rehash our sins in order to accuse us or punish us again and again. Rather, God forgives those sins and puts them behind him permanently. (Rom. 4:7, 8)

We can imitate God’s forgiveness by choosing to be forgiving toward one another whenever there is a basis for doing so.

And when we forgive others, we too can forget by putting the matter behind us and not bringing it up again in the future. 

Forgive them in your heart and move on. Forgiving someone is for your benefit, not theirs. Can't live a healthy life with hatred and resentment. If these people keep doing you wrong, cut off ties with them for they are toxic to you.