Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Can I ride an electric bike on the sidewalk? ?

Hey,

I am buying a new electric bike and helmet. It’s 750w 48v class 3 bike that can get up to 28mph by using the Samsung battery power only. That’s fast but, the speed limit is 40mph on most roads in my area. Since I haven’t been on a bike since I was a kid, I want to use the sidewalk until I can get my speed up. Do you think this is okay?

No! It belongs on the street. You could / should never ride at speed on a sidewalk. If the main streets are too busy and scary.... move your ride over a street or two to a more forgivable street that parallels the main drag.

Soccerref

Illegal. 

Speed limit is 5 MPH on sidewalk while giving pedestrian the right-of-way.

A bicycle is a VEHICLE. no vehicles on sidewalk. (Exception is youths, 10 years or less)

All e-bikes are technically mopeds, and require a license to operate on public roads. Loophole is it can still be used as a bike while power is off, making it a bike. NOBODY wants to pedal around that extra weight, and will use it solely as a moped. (Your description is illegal. It must have a governor. Cannot exceed 25 MPH, no full throttle, limited range of ??? 100 miles max ???)

Only if you're under 12 years old .

• F

I doubt if it’s legal to ride any bike on a sidewalk in any western country.

In the U.K. , a bike like yours is considered an electric motorbike abs must be taxed and insured. Only 250W is allowed as a push bike.

• D50

Whether it's allowed where you live, I don't know. What I do know is that it is far too fast and dangerous to ride on a sidewalk. When you hit someone you will be sued for every cent you have.

28 mph is about the same speed as a 50cc scooter with an internal combustion engine.  Do you see them on sidewalks?  I hope not.  So what if the speed limit is 40 mph on major thoroughfares?  Find a parallel side street.  This isn't rocket science.  

Use Google maps.  https://www.google.com/maps  Type in your starting & ending points.  Then click on the little bicycle symbol.  

Here's a video from San Francisco I posted a day or so ago to a similar question. 

https://youtu.be/cmz73jS1AOc

Youtube thumbnail

No!  No!  No!  And HELL NO!  On that street with a 40 mph speed limit, do you also see a posted speed MINIMUM?  No?  Then you can can legally ride on it.  Just what part of side-WALK don't you understand?  Bicycles are not permitted on "Limited Access Roads" in most places.  A brief description would be an interstate highway with both a posted speed limit & MINIMUM.  

Even on a pedal powered bike where I live (St. Louis) no one 15 years of age or older is allowed on ANY SIDEWALK - in a business or residential area.  17.36.050 - Where ridden - "No person (15) or more years of age shall ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk, unless that sidewalk is established and signed as a bike path."  https://library.municode.com/mo/st._louis/codes/co...  Around here, we call them Greenways.  https://greatriversgreenway.org/  And they're anywhere from 10 to 20 feet wide!  Hell-of-a-lot more than a 5 foot wide side-WALK.  

Most cities have the same or similar laws.  LEARN!  Take classes either online or in person from Cycling Savvy.  https://cyclingsavvy.org/  There's also plenty of YouTube instructional videos.  One example is Cyclist's Eye View [part 1].  Parts 2 and 3 can easily be found.  Bicycles are legally defined VEHICLES.  Stay OFF sidewalks. 

https://youtu.be/ZFjCza5e1kw

Youtube thumbnail

In many cities and states, it is not legal to ride a regular bike on the sidewalk. Therefore it is also not legal to ride an ebike on the sidewalk either. Of course, lots of people ride electric scooters on the sidewalks even though it is illegal. So, if you ride on the sidewalk, then you risk getting ticketed. It is best to ride your ebike on the streets, especially if there are bike lanes. If bike lanes are not available, try riding on streets that parallel the busy ones. They have less traffic and are a lot safer. 

If you have not ridden a bike for a while, the ebike may not be the best way to start riding again, because it is heavier than even mountain bikes therefore harder to control if you are off balance. Also, the pedal assist can suddenly surge the bike forward as you start to pedal from a stop. You may or may not know how to deal with the surge. There are also ebikes with a throttle mode and it allows the rider to move the bike at high speed without pedaling. An inexperienced rider may fall off the bike if he/she is not careful using the throttle mode. 

Before riding your new ebike, you should put oil on the rear derailleur's joints. I did not do that and the derailleur suddenly started acting up one day and the chain could not move smoothly and instead jerked the derailleur back and forth, making a noise and slowing down the bike. I had no idea what was wrong and was worried that the motor or the bottom bracket was the problem. Amazing that a few drops of oil can make such a big difference. 

Recently, I was driving almost an occupied midtown crossing point, and I was stunned to perceive what resembled a bike driving on the walkway. After looking into it further, I saw it had a green tag – I get it was some sort of e-bicycle. It made me wonder: what are the street rules are for these? As a driver, I'm experiencing enough difficulty checking the bicycle paths without now following quick bicycles on the walkway. – Ann, Toronto

With their present flood in notoriety, e-bicycles are showing up all over. Yet, the one spot you shouldn't be seeing them is on a walkway.

Toronto boycotts all bikes, regardless of whether controlled by individuals or batteries, on walkways. In case you're gotten on a walkway, it's a $60 fine.

The solitary exemption for the walkway rule? Children under 14 can ride bicycles on walkways as long as the tires are under 61 centimeters.

• Rick B

No idea.  Look up the laws and regulations on riding bikes where you live.  The answer is different in every city.